May 18 2013 Latest news:
Friday, February 17, 2012
London Fashion Week returns to the capital today showcasing the latest collections by international designers. Here are some facts and figures about the event.
- 105 catwalk shows and 30 presentations will take place over five days.
- Catwalk shows will run from February 17 to February 21, with menswear shows on February 22.
- The Exhibition, where more than 120 designer brands are set to showcase their autumn/winter 2012 collections, will also run from February 17 to February 22.
- More than 5,000 visitors are expected to attend the biannual event.
- Fashion Week is organised by the British Fashion Council, which was set up in 1983 to promote British fashion internationally through fashion weeks, exhibitions and showcasing events.
- The value of the UK fashion industry to the UK economy is £21 billion, according to the council.
- It is estimated that orders of more than £100 million are placed during London Fashion Week each season.
- The main show space is in historic Somerset House but designers also present their collections in a variety of locations around the city including the Royal Courts of Justice and the old Eurostar terminal.
- It is classed as one of the ‘big four’ fashion weeks around the globe alongside New York, Paris and Milan.