Andrew Lloyd Webber sells Palace Theatre in London’s West End to fund Palladium work

10:44 12 April 2012

Andrew Lloyd Webber has sold the Palace Theatre in London

Andrew Lloyd Webber has sold the Palace Theatre in London

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Andrew Lloyd Webber has sold the Palace Theatre in the heart of London’s West End so he can continue refurbishing the London Palladium, which he also owns.

The musical maestro said the Palace, in Shaftesbury Avenue, where he wrote large sections of his hit Phantom Of The Opera, had been his “home for nearly 40 years”.

The 64-year-old said he was selling the beloved venue to “secure a theatrical future” for the Palace.

He said: “I am proud that under my ownership the auditorium has been restored, the magnificent front of house that had been covered with army surplus paint was removed to reveal acres of Italian marble and the theatre that John Betjeman described as ‘the only theatre architecture... which climbs into the regions of a work of art’ was brought back to its former glory.

“First, and most importantly, I want to see a secure theatrical future for the Palace, as I do the other historic theatres that I own through Really Useful Theatres.”

The Palace has been sold to Nimax Theatres for an undisclosed sum.

Lord Lloyd-Webber said proceeds of the sale would go towards continuing work on the Palladium.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport