Azelle Rodney death: Report into police shooting due

10:16 05 July 2013

A report into the death of a man who was shot by police in Edgware will be published today, more than eight years after the shooting.

Azelle Rodney, 24, was killed after the VW Golf he was travelling in was forced to come to a “hard stop” by police in Edgware on April 30 2005.

Mr Rodney’s mother has claimed her son was the victim of “naked, violent aggression”.

Former High Court judge Sir Christopher Holland will publish his final report following a three-month public inquiry into the death of Mr Rodney.

Officers believed the two men in the car with Mr Rodney - Wesley Lovell and Frank Graham - were on their way to commit an armed heist on a gang of Colombian drug dealers.

The police marksman who killed Mr Rodney, who is known only as E7, opened fire within a second of pulling up beside the car, which had been under surveillance for several hours.

He told the inquiry that he feared the gang had a sub-machine gun that would have been capable of firing more than 1,000 rounds per minute, and said he saw Mr Rodney looking left and right and ducking down in the back seat of the car.

But lawyers for Mr Rodney’s mother Susan Alexander claimed he was the victim of “naked, violent aggression” and he was unlawfully killed.

Three guns were found in the Golf. A Colt .45 calibre pistol was not loaded, a Baikal pistol was loaded but was not cocked and the safety catch was on, and a smaller gun that looked like a key fob was loaded, cocked and the safety catch was off.

Sir Christopher has considered a number of issues, including what information the police team had and how reliable it was, whether their approach minimised the risk to life, and if the stop of the car was conducted with only the necessary force.

The report is expected to be published at around 11am.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport