Baby P social workers vow to continue fight against dismissal

14:08 25 May 2012

Social workers involved in the case of Peter Connelly are vowing to continue their fight against their dismissal

Social workers involved in the case of Peter Connelly are vowing to continue their fight against their dismissal

PA Archive/PA Photos

Two social workers sacked in the wake of the Baby P case are vowing to take their fight against their dismissal the Court of Appeal after they lost their latest battle.

Gillie Christou and Maria Ward - who claim they were unjustly fired by Haringey Council in response to a public outcry about the little boy’s death in 2007 - were told today their latest appeal had been rejected.

Mr Justice Wilkie announced his decision at the Employment Appeal Tribunal in central London, backing an earlier ruling by a Watford employment tribunal panel which previously concluded that the local authority acted reasonably in dismissing them because of serious failings in their care of the toddler.

But the two women, neither of whom appeared at court today, plan to take their appeal one step further.

Their solicitor Riz Majid said: “Maria Ward and Gillie Christou are disappointed by the result.

“We will be studying the judgment carefully with a view to going to the Court of Appeal.”

He has previously argued their case had been bolstered by a landmark Court of Appeal ruling in May last year that Haringey’s children’s services director Sharon Shoesmith was unfairly sacked over the Baby P tragedy.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Monday, April 27, 2015
Police want to know who these two men are [Photographs from Metropolitan Police]

Police are looking for two witnesses to a vicious assault that took place in Camden Lock and left the victim needing hospital treatment.

Monday, April 27, 2015
LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 06:  Novak Djokovic of Serbia in with the fans as he climbs down after celebrating in his player's box with friends, family and members of his coaching team following his victory in the Gentlemen's Singles Final match against Roger Federer.

Visitors to this year’s Wimbledon will have to abandon their selfie sticks after bosses banned them from being taken into the grounds.

Monday, April 27, 2015
(Photo by Rob Stothard/Getty Images)

A cleaning service is using its app to offer London home owners with mice problems the chance to foster a cat for free, in order to get rid of rodent invaders.

Monday, April 27, 2015
TfL is building a east-west cycle superhighway to be completed in 2016.

Road users may wish to find alternative routes on Victoria Embankment as major works begin for the east-west cycle superhighway today.

Monday, April 27, 2015
There are severe delays on the Victoria Line

The Victoria Line is open again after being closed between Brixton and Warren Street for more than an hour during rush hour.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.