BBC director general quits over Newsnight report

22:04 10 November 2012

George Entwistle announces his resignation as BBC director general. Picture: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

George Entwistle announces his resignation as BBC director general. Picture: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

BBC director general George Entwistle tonight quit over the “unacceptable” Newsnight broadcast which wrongly implicated a senior former Conservative in a child abuse scandal.

Earlier Mr Entwistle said the report, which falsely implicated the former senior Tory Lord McAlpine should never have been broadcast.

During an interview with the Radio 4 Today programme he disclosed that he had not known in advance that the report, shown on November 2, was going out.

His disclosure led some MPs to question whether he was the right person to lead the BBC.

In a brief statement outside Broadcasting House this evening, Mr Entwistle said that he had decided to do the “honourable thing” and step down from his post.

He said: “When appointed to the role, with 23 years’ experience as a producer and leader at the BBC, I was confident the trustees had chosen the best candidate for the post, and the right person to tackle the challenges and opportunities ahead.

“However the wholly exceptional events of the past few weeks have led me to conclude that the BBC should appoint a new leader.”

Standing alongside him, the chairman of the BBC Trust, Lord Patten said it was “one of the saddest evenings of my public life”.

“At the heart of the BBC is its role as a trusted global news organisation,” he said.

“As the editor in chief of that news organisation George has very honourably offered us his resignation because of the unacceptable mistakes - the unacceptable shoddy journalism - which has caused us so much controversy.

“He has behaved as editor with huge honour and courage and would that the rest of the world always behaved the same.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photo BBC]

An assault rifle used in seven unsolved murders in Northern Ireland has been found in an Imperial War Museum display cabinet.

Friday, May 29, 2015
London24 have edited the racist slur out of the photograph [Original photograph by Mel Hughes]

Herne Hill residents were disgusted to see racist graffiti appear on the walls of a local jazz bar this week.

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photo Met Police]

An Ecuadorian studying at King’s College London sat next to the sleeping victim on the N13, put his hand down her jeans then led her off the bus and raped her in his Hampstead home.

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photograph by Louise Holly]

All trains via Tulse Hill have been cancelled due to a bridge strike, affecting journeys to London Bridge, West Croydon, Peckham Rye, Herne Hill, Streatham and Crystal Palace.

Friday, May 29, 2015
[Photo Assemble and Simon Terrill]

The new sculpture playground is Brutalist - it is based on concrete playgrounds from the 1950s and 60s - but is made from reconstituted foam.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

Read more
The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Read more
You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Read more