Boris Johnson orders public consultation into fire station closure proposals

16:36 30 January 2013

Boris Johnson criticised the authority today

Boris Johnson criticised the authority today

Archant

Boris Johnson has overruled London’s fire authority over proposals to close 12 of the capital’s fire stations as part of cost-cutting measures.

The London Mayor, who appeared at City Hall for Question Time today, made the move after members of the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority voted last week not to accept the plans outlined by commissioner Ron Dobson.

The proposals will also result in the loss of 520 jobs, in a bid to make savings of £45 million. Mr Johnson has now directed LFEPA to start a public consultation.

Mr Johnson said the authority had increased the likelihood of compulsory redundancies by not tackling a budget gap, adding: “There have been some outrageous claims that the fire commissioner and I would put lives of Londoners at risk, so I have directed the plans to go for consultation as planned because the option presented by the authority is unfit for purpose and unsustainable in budget terms.

“It is essential that the London Fire Brigade continues to modernise so that it can remain one of the world’s leading rescue services and is equipped to respond to 21st century fire fighting needs.

“It’s right that tough decisions have to be made in times of economic uncertainty. History shows the difficulties organisations face when they don’t meet their financial responsibilities. With 100 fire stations and over 150 fire engines, I am completely resolute that any agreed proposals will still be able to deal with large scale or multiple emergencies.”

The mayor pointed out that the London brigade attends half as many fires as a decade ago, while fire deaths were down by a third.

Navin Shah, Labour’s fire spokesman on the London Assembly, said the mayor’s move was the first step in closing the 12 stations.

“Boris needs to think again and look at reallocating resources from the wider Greater London Authority budget.

“This will keep our fire stations open and protect the safety and security of Londoners. He is trying to force the London Fire Authority to make these deep cuts, which are opposed by us and many Londoners.”

Mr Shah said he had called an emergency meeting of the fire authority to discuss the mayor’s intervention.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest London news

Monday, April 27, 2015
A person has died after being hit by a train at Surbiton station. Pic: @fifteenforward

Train services between Wimbledon and Surbiton are facing delays after a person died from being hit by a train at Surbiton station.

Monday, April 27, 2015
Hackney WickED has been cancelled this year due to money troubles. [Photo courtesy of Hackney WickED]

Arts festival Hackney WickED will not go ahead this summer due to “ever-increasing” production costs, its organisers have announced.

Monday, April 27, 2015
Police want to know who these two men are [Photographs from Metropolitan Police]

Police are looking for two witnesses to a vicious assault that took place in Camden Lock and left the victim needing hospital treatment.

Monday, April 27, 2015
LONDON, ENGLAND - JULY 06:  Novak Djokovic of Serbia in with the fans as he climbs down after celebrating in his player's box with friends, family and members of his coaching team following his victory in the Gentlemen's Singles Final match against Roger Federer.

Visitors to this year’s Wimbledon will have to abandon their selfie sticks after bosses banned them from being taken into the grounds.

Monday, April 27, 2015
(Photo by Rob Stothard/Getty Images)

A cleaning service is using its app to offer London home owners with mice problems the chance to foster a cat for free, in order to get rid of rodent invaders.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.