December 5 2013 Latest news:
by Jon Dean
Monday, May 14, 2012
A man who fell foul of a data breach similar to the recent data blunder says lessons should have been learned from his experience.
Last week it emerged that Islington Council had sent the details of 51 residents who had complained about anti-social behaviour to a gang of hooligans who were causing trouble on the Andover Estate, in Holloway.
With many victims considering legal action, the mistake could prove costly to the town hall.
But a man who had his details passed to someone he had complained about in March – albeit by Homes for Islington rather than Islington Council directly – says the warning signs were there.
The resident, who wishes to remain anonymous, said: “They really should have smartened up their act after what happened to me. It’s all about confidentiality. For it to happen once is bad enough, but then 51 more is awful. I am amazed they didn’t learn their lesson from me.”
The council is now set to re-house seven families – five on the Andover Estate and two from elsewhere – following the second leak.
Lib Dem councillor Greg Foxsmith has agreed to help residents form a group action against the council – but no writs have been issued yet.
Cllr Paul Convery, the council’s executive member for community safety, said the priority now was to rehouse those at risk from the breach.
He also confirmed there would be an internal investigation by the Information Commissioner and an external review of information security.