May 22 2013 Latest news:
Josh Pettitt, Reporter
Thursday, February 16, 2012
Camden Council has thrown its weight behind a bid for a judicial review of a controversial high-speed rail network today (Thursday) that could “blight the borough for a decade”.
The council has joined 18 others up and down the country seeking to derail HS2 at the High Court.
The new high-speed link between London and Birmingham could see 500 homes demolished and 40 business close in Camden. Cllr Sarah Hayward said the council had resorted to legal action following disappointing talks with transport secretary Justine Greening last week.
She said: “We are losing homes, business and numerous listed buildings and a school. The area is going to be blighted for years and the government is not engaging with us properly. We have been left with little choice but to proceed with legal action.”
The council claims the consultation process, environmental impact assessment and equalities and impact assessment is flawed.
In the coming weeks the council will gather evidence before submitting an application for a judicial review of the government’s decision to give HS2 the green light.
Cllr Hayward said Camden would also continue to fight plans for the redevelopment of Euston as the hybrid bill is introduced to parliament.