December 12 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, September 5, 2013
Caroline Criado-Perez - the feminist campaigner who became the victim of abuse on Twitter following her successful bid to get a woman’s face on the new ten pound note - has hit out at the Metropolitan Police for a lack of sensitivity.
Today, Criado-Perez, from north London, said that police appear to have lost supporting evidence that she had emailed to them, and was reduced to tears after being forced to spend hours going back through the abusive material.
She said: “It’s just appalling. I got an email saying ‘why don’t you go through what you’ve had’ from three users with certain handles. It just shows such insensitivity to someone who’s been through so much, I can’t believe it. I’ve spent the afternoon crying just from the sheer awfulness of it.
“They wanted me to go through all the Tweets again because of their incompetence. Every time I have to go through it it’s reliving it all over again.”
Ms Criado-Perez received a fresh stream of violent rape threats today which she has sent to police.
She is among several high profile women to have received threats since last month, including Walthamstow MP Stella Creasy who also received abuse after she offered support to the freelance journalist.
Classicist and television historian Professor Mary Beard, Guardian columnist Hadley Freeman, Independent columnist Grace Dent and Europe editor of Time magazine Catherine Mayer were also among those targeted.
Last month Twitter introduced a “report tweet” option for users who are sent abusive messages, a move welcomed by Ms Criado-Perez.
But she claims that Scotland Yard investigators do not understand how to treat victims of the online abuse.
“Twitter is trying to adapt, to learn, but the police don’t seem to get it. When I first reported it I felt embarrassed, I felt that they didn’t understand it.”
She also questioned why only three people have been arrested, when she believes a much larger number were involved in sending her violent threats.
A 21-year-old arrested in Manchester; a 25-year-old man questioned by Northumbria Police and a 32-year-old man arrested in Bristol are all due to answer police bail in mid-September.