December 13 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, August 29, 2013
A freelance reporter who works for The Sun will face no further action after his arrest nearly a year ago on suspicion of handling stolen goods, say the Metropolitan Police.
Chris Pollard, 31, was held on September 20 last year by detectives working on Operation Tuleta, an investigation into computer hacking and other alleged privacy breaches.
He had worked as a casual news reporter on the newspaper since 2009, and was reportedly arrested over allegations he had handled a stolen mobile phone.
A spokesman for The Sun said: “We’re very pleased that the Metropolitan Police Service will be taking no further action against Chris Pollard.”
Scotland Yard did not name Mr Pollard, but released a statement which said: “A journalist who was arrested as part of Operation Tuleta was informed on Wednesday August 21 that there will be no further action taken.
“The 31-year-old man was arrested at his home address on September 20, 2012 on suspicion of offences under Section 1 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 and suspicion of handling stolen goods contrary to Section 22 of the Theft Act 1968.”
Last week fellow Sun reporter Rhodri Phillips was also told he would face no further action after his arrest under Operation Tuleta.
The allegations against him were over a phone call from someone who claimed to have found an MP’s lost mobile phone.
He spent 13 months on police bail, and said he was ‘delighted’ to be cleared of any wrongdoing.