100,000 DVDs seized in £1million illegal porn bust

14:29 05 September 2013

Picture: Westminster City Council

Picture: Westminster City Council

Archant

More than 100,000 illegal porn DVDs set for the shelves of the capital’s newsagents have been seized in raids on businesses in south London.

Officials had to make several trips to complete the haul due to the number of boxes. Picture: Westminster City CouncilOfficials had to make several trips to complete the haul due to the number of boxes. Picture: Westminster City Council

The stash comprising hundreds of boxes, said to be worth as much as £1million, was found by Westminster City Council (WCC) licensing inspectors following the discovery of pornographic material hidden in magazine packs on top-shelf displays in shops across the borough.

Officials and police seized the unclassified DVDs over four raids on two suppliers in Wandsworth and Merton.

The supply of unclassified pornographic material is an offence under the Video Recordings Act 1984.

Cllr Nickie Aiken, WCC’s cabinet member for community protection and premises, said: “We believe we have uncovered a major wholesale supply ring distributing unclassified material to shops in Westminster.

“The disturbing issue is that a child going into a newsagents for a comic or some sweets could now come across some very unpleasant hardcore material.

Earlier this year WCC lost a court battle over its use of licence fees from sex shops to fund its enforcement of the industry. Cllr Aiken said the ruling had “undermined” the council’s ability to fight the illegal porn trade.

Two men are being questioned by council officers for a suspected breach of the Video Recordings Act, WCC said.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this woman about the incident

Police have released an image of a woman they want to speak to after a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf was racially abused on a Piccadilly line train.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Peter Mussett sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl on the DLR

A 32-year-old man carried out an ‘incredibly frightening’ sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl travelling alone on the DLR.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police have released a CCTV image of a cyclist believed to have knocked a woman to the ground.

CCTV images of a cyclist accused of forcefully knocking a woman over in Bermondsey before speeding off have been released by police.

Thursday, April 23, 2015
Ambrose Ball has been missing since January 24

Police have recovered a body from the River Lea and believe it may be that of Ambrose Ball, who went missing in January after crashing his car.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Scotland Yard would like to speak to this man in connection with the attack [Photo by Metropolitan Police]

A 13-year-old girl was sexually attacked on a Bromley-bound bus, police have revealed.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
The man was attacked until he got off the train at King's Cross station (Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

A Victoria Line passenger was subjected to a vile racist tirade after asking a man not to spit on the Underground.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.