Amanda Knox defends decision to not attend new appeal in Meredith Kercher trial

19:32 23 September 2013

Amanda Knox during an interview on NBC

Amanda Knox during an interview on NBC's "Today" show, where she defended her decision not to return to Italy for a new appeals trial over the 2007 killing of Meredith Kercher. Picture: AP Photo/NBC, Peter Kramer

Amanda Knox has defended her decision not to return to Italy for a new appeals trial over the 2007 killing of her roommate Meredith Kercher.

The 26-year-old American has acknowledged that ‘everything is at stake’ and insists she is innocent of the Londoner’s murder at their shared home in Perugia.

But she said in an interview on NBC: “I was already imprisoned as innocent person in Italy, and I can’t reconcile the choice to go back with that experience.

“I just can’t relive that.”

When asked if she was worried that she was handing prosecutors an admission of guilt by not attending the trial, she responded: “I look at it of an admission of innocence.”

Ms Knox said there was no trace of her in the room where 21-year-old Meredith Kercher, from Coulsdon, south Lodnon, was found with her throat slashed when the pair were both exchange students.

“It’s impossible for me to have participated in this crime if there’s no trace of me,” Ms Knox said.

In March, Italy’s supreme court ordered a new trial for Ms Knox and her Italian former boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito.

An appeals court in 2011 had acquitted both, overturning convictions by a lower court, but the new appeals trial begins in Florence on September 30.

Ms Knox said school and finances also were keeping her from attending the trial.

She said she still had faith in the Italian legal system, adding: “I believe that people who really care about justice and look at this without prejudice will come to same conclusion.”

Still, she acknowledged that the prospect of returning to prison haunted her.

“I thought about what it would be like to live my entire life in prison and to lose everything, to lose what I’ve been able to come back to and rebuild,” she said.

“I think about it all the time. It’s so scary. Everything is at stake.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Wednesday, May 6, 2015
Mahad Abdi Abshir collapsed in Castlehaven Road

Police are appealing for witnesses after a 28-year-old man collapsed in the street in Camden and died in hospital two days later.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015
Robert Lashley had already been sent to prison for an earlier rape, and police fear he may have attacked many more women [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A sick sexual predator who followed an elderly woman back to her flat and raped her may have attacked other women, police fear.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015
Ola Raji died from a single gunshot wound [Photo by Metropolitan Police]

The occupants of a black BMW who were parked near the murder scene of 21-year-old Ola Raji in Peckham two weeks ago are being sought by police who think they may hold vital information about the killing.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015
(Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

A group of football fans on a train from Euston to Stoke are wanted by police after they shouted abuse at fellow travellers - including a young boy in a wheelchair.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015
[Image from Google StreetView]

Stockwell Road and Brixton Road have reopened after a man on a roof was talked down by police.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015
Robert Gurling

Romford man Robert Gurling has abducted his three-year-old son from his foster parents, and police need the public’s help to find the pair.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Limited edition Opihr Gin goodies up for grabs!

Opihr Oriental Spiced Gin is a unique style of London Dry Gin created at G&J one of the world’s oldest gin distillers, using exotic botanicals, herbs and spices.

Read more
A swastika daubed on a poster promoting Simon Marcus.

Conservatives in Hampstead and Kilburn are calling in the police over anti-Semitic graffiti found daubed on posters promoting parliamentary candidate Simon Marcus in Queen’s Park.