Barry George to learn whether he has won compensation battle

10:45 25 January 2013

Barry George is to find out today if he has won a High Court battle for compensation as a victim of a "miscarriage of justice". File picture: Lewis Whyld/PA Wire

Barry George is to find out today if he has won a High Court battle for compensation as a victim of a "miscarriage of justice". File picture: Lewis Whyld/PA Wire

Barry George, who spent eight years in prison after being wrongly convicted of the murder of TV presenter Jill Dando, learns today whether he has won a High Court battle for compensation as a victim of a “miscarriage of justice”.

Mr George argues that, despite his unanimous acquittal by a jury at a retrial, a Ministry of Justice “functionary” unfairly and unlawfully decided he was “not innocent enough to be compensated”.

Yet for more than 30 years those acquitted on retrials in similar circumstances had been compensated, said his QC Ian Glen at a recent hearing.

He said the position seemed to have changed in 2008, the year Mr George was acquitted.

“We are not sure when the policy was changed or whether it was affected by the Barry George case.”

Mr Glen argued that the decision not to treat Mr George’s acquittal as a miscarriage of justice was to go behind the decision of the jury that acquitted him and failed to take account of the fact that no safe conviction could ever be based on the evidence against Mr George.

Mr George, 52, who was not at the hearing at London’s High Court, is seeking a reconsideration of his case that could open the way for him to claim an award of up to £500,000.

His high-profile action is one of five test cases assembled for Mr Justice Beatson and Mr Justice Irwin to decide who is now entitled to payments in “miscarriage of justice” cases following a landmark decision by the Supreme Court in May 2011.

Decisions in all five cases to refuse payouts were defended by Justice Secretary Chris Grayling in a three-day hearing.

Miss Dando was shot dead outside her home in Fulham in April 1999.

After his conviction in 2001, Mr George, of Fulham, west London, was acquitted of killing the 37-year-old BBC presenter at the 2008 retrial.

Mr George’s initial claim for compensation for lost earnings and wrongful imprisonment was rejected in January 2010.

His legal challenge against that decision was put on hold until after a panel of nine Supreme Court justices gave their landmark compensation ruling in the case of Andrew Adams - a former aircraft engineer who spent 14 years in jail before his murder conviction was ruled unsafe.

After the Adams ruling, Mr George was told by the Justice Secretary in June 2011 he was still not entitled to compensation under Section 133 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988.

Asking the High Court to quash the Justice Secretary’s decision, Mr Glen said: “Mr George’s claim has not been properly and fully considered or reconsidered.

“We want the opportunity to have a proper reconsideration at the appropriate level - at ministerial level - when we can have the chance to make our submissions about the state of the evidence and whether a safe conviction (against Mr George) could be based on it.”

The decision to refuse compensation was “defective and contrary to natural justice”.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
2 3 4 5 6

Latest Crime news

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Knife crime is on the rise in the capital (Picture: PA Images)

The 17-year-old boy murdered in a north London street last night is the fourteenth teenager to be stabbed to death in London in 2015, amid a ‘disturbing’ increase in knife crime in the capital.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Marta Ligman, 23, may have been alive when she was stuffed into the suitcase and thrown into the canal (Picture: Facebook)

A forklift truck driver has been found guilty of murdering his girlfriend, Marta Ligman, who may have been alive when she was stuffed into a suitcase and thrown into the Grand Union Canal.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
The boy was stabbed to death near Caledonian Road Tube station in Islington (Pic: Google Street View)

A teenage boy was stabbed to death in Yoke Close, off North Road, Holloway, last night.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this man after female and male bus drivers were punched

A thug who punched a female and male bus driver because he lost his phone is wanted by police.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
(Picture: London Fire Brigade)

An arsonist thought to have struck twice in Walthamstow yesterday morning is being hunted by police, who have issued a warning to the public to be extra vigilant for their own safety.

Monday, November 23, 2015
110kg of ivory - including raw elephant tusks - was seized by border police at Heathrow (Picture: Border Police)

In one of the largest ivory-smuggling busts ever, Border Force officers have seized over 100kg of the material which ‘represents dead elephants’ at Heathrow Airport, including whole raw tusks.

Breaking News

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A 16-year-old boy has been taken to an east London hospital after “suffering a stab wound” police have said.

Read more

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

Read more
You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Read more

Latest Tech News