Brian Witty ex-soldier and serial rapist from Teddington ‘may have more victims’

08:52 25 April 2012

An image used by Brian Witty on his dating website profile

An image used by Brian Witty on his dating website profile

Police fear there may be more victims of a “predatory” rapist who has been convicted of assaulting four women.

Former soldier Brian Witty, 41, was found guilty of a string of sex attacks between 1995 and 2011, including one during which he told a victim: “I don’t believe this, I’m a good-looking bloke,” when she rejected his advances.

Witty, previously a Territorial Army Parachute Regiment captain, was convicted of three rapes and one sexual assault by a jury at Kingston-upon-Thames Crown Court.

He met two of his victims through a dating website and pounced on the others following chance encounters in bars.

Detective Inspector Michael Murfin, of the Met Police, urged others to come forward.

He said: “Brian Witty is a predatory rapist and I would urge anyone who thinks they may have been raped or sexually assaulted by him to contact the police in complete confidence.”

He added: “We want victims to have the confidence that we are here for them, will believe them and will conduct our investigations professionally. We want rapists and those committing other sex offences to know that our dedicated teams are committed to ensuring we arrest them.

“I hope that Witty’s conviction helps to reinforce that message.

“I would like to pay tribute to the bravery of the women who Witty raped and sexually assaulted. I would like to thank them each for their courage in coming forward to report their ordeals and having the strength to give evidence against him in court.”

Witty, of Twickenham Road in Teddington, south-west London, warned one of the women he attacked that had been in the forces and could do whatever he wanted - “even kill her”.

He denied the charges but a jury of eight women and four men found him guilty of all counts.

Judge Nicholas Price QC told Witty it was inevitable he would be sentenced to a long term of imprisonment.

Adjourning sentencing for reports, Judge Price said: “The only issue that this court has to make is if your behaviour is such, as it has been over a period of many years, that you should be considered to be dangerous and therefore liable to a term of imprisonment for the public protection.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Simpson-Kent was captured in Ghana after fleeing the UK following the death of his partner Sian Blake and their two children (Photo: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire)

Sian Blake’s partner has been charged with the murders of the ex-EastEnders actress and their two children, police have said.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Police are keen to identify this man (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

Police are asking south London women to be vigilant if travelling alone and on foot in the early hours, after three women were attacked within four miles of each other.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police are investigating attempted child abductions

A man has been charged after reports that a number of schoolchildren were approached by someone impersonating a police officer in Hornsey.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police would like to speak with this man (Picture: Metropolitan Police)

A 27-year-old man was punched in the face and pummelled as he lay on the ground in a sustained and unprovoked attack at a Bloomsbury bus stop.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
The two men police want to identify

A horrifying attack in Shoreditch has left a man with a fractured skull after he was beaten with wooden stakes.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport