Camden boxer spared jail for stashing illegal fight winnings in Selfridges

14:00 02 March 2012

Blackfriars Crown Court

Blackfriars Crown Court

Archant

A bare-knuckle boxer from Camden who stashed his criminal winnings in a safe in Selfridges has been spared prison.

Former successful prizefighter Mark Mullan, 33, from Hawley Road, stashed proceeds from the illegal fights in the department store from 2006 to 2010.

His girlfriend, Nancy Saunders, 27, of Fitzroy Road, Primrose Hill, also siphoned off £31,000 in benefits from Camden Council and £15,000 from the government, Blackfriars Crown Court was told on Tuesday (February 28).

Police found cash totalling £99,000 from the illegal fights, benefit fraud and money from the boxer’s work as a landscaper.

Sentencing Judge Peter Clarke QC said: “If you (Mullan) wanted to make your living at the risk of your own wellbeing, parliament tries to stop you doing it, then so be it. It does mean that a lot of money has been lost that you have earned through your own pain and suffering.”

Mullan was given a nine month suspended sentence and 120 hours of unpaid work after pleading guilty to concealing criminal property.

Mother-of-three Saunders admitted concealing criminal property and fraud and was given a six month suspended sentence and 80 hours of unpaid work.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, March 30, 2015
British Transport Police would like to speak to this woman pictured in the station on CCTV (Pic: British Transport Police)

Police are appealing for information after a deaf homeless woman was physically assaulted at Wanstead tube station over the weekend.

Monday, March 30, 2015
Black cab David Perry, 'abused position of trust' when preying on sleeping  passengers

Police fears pervert may have preyed on more victims during 25-year cabbie career

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police believe the attack took place behind the Surbiton KFC, on the Electric Parade (Pic: Google Maps)

Police are appealing for information after two men were seriously injured near a KFC in Surbiton.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been charged with murder after a man died at a house at East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015

We previously ran an appeal asking the public to report any sightings of Joshua Packman, a young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...