‘Concern’ after drop in recorded rapes in London

13:20 15 November 2012

File picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

File picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

The police officer in charge of investigating alleged rapes and sex assaults in London has described the last year’s fall in reports as a big concern.

Detectives are now being specially trained as sexual offences investigation officers to more effectively deal with complaints in an effort to stem the drop.

A scheme will be also piloted in north London whereby victims will be referred straight to rape crisis centres rather having to wait weeks for assistance after going to the police.

Speaking to the London Assembly’s police and crime committee at City Hall today, Detective Chief Superintendent Mick Duthie, head of the Met’s Sapphire Command, said the drop in reports was in line with national trends.

He said: “It is a big concern to me and the Met in general, we are trying to understand why this has happened.

“There has been a 10 per cent reduction in reported rapes, and in the financial year to date it is a 15 per cent reduction. We are doing some work to see how and why this has happened.”

Meetings are now being held “every two to three months” with women’s groups such as Rape Crisis to identify areas of concern for sex assault victims and to address problems faced by ethnic minorities and the gay and lesbian community.

DCS Duthie added there were 555 charges relating to sex offences last year amid efforts to raise the sanction detection rate.

He said: “At the moment we have had problems that some of the investigations have taken too long.”

Referring to the conviction of ex-Met Police detective Ryan Coleman Farrow, who was jailed last month for failing to properly investigate rape and sex assault cases, DCS Duthie said officers dealing with complaints will be “closely monitored”.

He added: “We have increased the level of supervision of staff (and have), are more intrusive implemented a more robust framework to make sure staff know what they are doing.”

Yvonne Trainer, from Rape Crisis, told the committee she was surprised by the drop in reports but was satisfied by the Met’s attempts to include them in the process.

She said: “We carried out some research last year with the service to find out if they hadn’t reported, and why they hadn’t reported and it was quite an interesting discovery.

“The reason was not because they didn’t wasnt to speak to police. The (issue) was that that they would have to talk to someone about something that was so intensely personal.”

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
2 3 4 5 6

Latest Crime news

Wednesday, November 25, 2015
Police want to talk to this man about a sex assault on a 16-year-old girl on a Hounslow bus

A 16-year-old girl was sexually assaulted by a man while travelling on the 423 bus route along Bath Road, Hounslow.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015
A West Ham fan was stabbed on Sunday

The West Ham fan stabbed before Sunday’s match against Tottenham has been released from hospital, the club has confirmed.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015
The robbers threaten a female shop worker with a sword and machete in Mitcham

This shocking CCTV footage shows teenage robbers wielding a machete and sword threatening a female shop worker in Mitcham, south London.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Knife crime is on the rise in the capital (Picture: PA Images)

The 17-year-old boy murdered in a north London street last night is the fourteenth teenager to be stabbed to death in London in 2015, amid a ‘disturbing’ increase in knife crime in the capital.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Marta Ligman, 23, may have been alive when she was stuffed into the suitcase and thrown into the canal (Picture: Facebook)

A forklift truck driver has been found guilty of murdering his girlfriend, Marta Ligman, who may have been alive when she was stuffed into a suitcase and thrown into the Grand Union Canal.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
The boy was stabbed to death near Caledonian Road Tube station in Islington (Pic: Google Street View)

A teenage boy was stabbed to death in Yoke Close, off North Road, Holloway, last night.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

Read more
You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Read more

Latest Tech News