Cuts in Metropolitan Police staff labelled a ‘panic measure’

17:59 19 November 2012

File picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

File picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

The Metropolitan Police is planning to cut 3,500 staff roles and 1,200 senior officer posts of the rank of sergeant and above.

The move has been proposed to help save much-needed funds and comes on the back of news last month of plans to sell force New Scotland Yard.

Plans, which are subject to approval from the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime, include a move to recruit 2,000 new police constables.

Jenny Jones, deputy chair of London Assembly’s police and crime committee, said: “I am concerned the plan to cut a quarter of the support staff in the Met is a panic measure to stay within the budget and will result in more police officers in backroom roles.

“Over one in four support staff are going to be sacked, and at what cost in redundancy payments, in order to achieve the mayor’s fabled target of wanting 32,000 police officers?”

Labour’s London Assembly police and crime spokeswoman, Joanne McCartney, said the proposals will “jeopardise the safety and security of Londoners” and criticised Mayor Boris Johnson.

“This is further evidence that the government’s cuts are hitting frontline policing in London,” she said.

“Losing a quarter of our police sergeants will be a body blow to neighbourhood policing. They are our local police leaders who are absolutely critical in keeping communities safe.

“Boris cut 150 police sergeants last year, so the numbers are already too low.

“We need the right mixture of police officers, sergeants, and senior police leaders. These proposed cuts will fundamentally undermine this mix.

“Losing 3,500 civilian staff will also have a real impact on policing in the capital.

“We already know that police officers are filling back-office roles.

“The Met are announcing these latest cuts without any consultation with Londoners and we can only assume that Boris fully supports them.”

A spokesman for the Mayor’s Office for Policing And Crime (MOPAC) said: “For the first time in recent history we have a balanced budget so we know where the savings need to come from.

“This budget involved some difficult decisions on staff reductions, but these civilian staff will be offered generous voluntary exit terms and the most important result is that the Met will continue to have around 32,000 cops keeping London safe.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this woman about the incident

Police have released an image of a woman they want to speak to after a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf was racially abused on a Piccadilly line train.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Peter Mussett sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl on the DLR

A 32-year-old man carried out an ‘incredibly frightening’ sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl travelling alone on the DLR.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police have released a CCTV image of a cyclist believed to have knocked a woman to the ground.

CCTV images of a cyclist accused of forcefully knocking a woman over in Bermondsey before speeding off have been released by police.

Thursday, April 23, 2015
Ambrose Ball has been missing since January 24

Police have recovered a body from the River Lea and believe it may be that of Ambrose Ball, who went missing in January after crashing his car.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Scotland Yard would like to speak to this man in connection with the attack [Photo by Metropolitan Police]

A 13-year-old girl was sexually attacked on a Bromley-bound bus, police have revealed.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
The man was attacked until he got off the train at King's Cross station (Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

A Victoria Line passenger was subjected to a vile racist tirade after asking a man not to spit on the Underground.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.