Dagenham and Redbridge fans devastated after arson attack destroys “priceless programmes”

07:01 13 November 2012

'Irreplaceable': Daggers boss Steve Thompson stands next to the supporters' club office which contained thousands of programmes. Picture: Steve Poston

Archant

Dagenham and Redbridge Football Club fans have been left devastated after a supporters’ club containing “priceless” programmes from past decades was destroyed in an arson attack.

Bosses are assessing the damage after thousands of FA cup final and club programmes dating back to the 1950s were reduced to ash at the site in Victoria Road, Dagenham on Sunday.

Supporters’ club members John Chapman and Russell Elmes helped to gather the collection believed to have included programmes from all 92 football league clubs.

A VIP box was also broken into and pipes were ripped off toilet walls hours after the Daggers thrashed Rotherham 5 - 0 on Saturday.

The club’s managing director Steve Thompson, 52, said: “The collection of programmes destroyed had been the result of 10 years hard work by two of our most dedicated supporters.

“It was recognised as one of the best in the country and an individual or individuals looking for something valuable have in fact destroyed a collection of programmes that was priceless.

“My heart goes out to the two supporters involved. Some of the programmes are irreplaceable.”

Mr Chapman, 65, said: “It’s a great tragedy. I feel very upset for the supporters and this bit of football history for the club.”

One fan wrote on a forum: “Gutted all the paper history of the club has gone.” Another branded the arson attack “despicable”.

Around 15 firefighters tackled the blaze at 5.30am. The fire was brought under control half an hour later.

CCTV has been looked at but no arrests have yet been made.

Ch Insp Richard Goodwin said: “Dagenham and Redbridge FC is a valued family focused asset for the borough and I hope that anyone who has information concerning this incident will recognise this and contact police without delay.”

The League 2 club is appealing to others clubs to rebuild the collection.

A spokesman said: “We will be appealing for help to restock the shop.”

Anyone with information should contact the CID on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Simpson-Kent was captured in Ghana after fleeing the UK following the death of his partner Sian Blake and their two children (Photo: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire)

Sian Blake’s partner has been charged with the murders of the ex-EastEnders actress and their two children, police have said.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Police are keen to identify this man (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

Police are asking south London women to be vigilant if travelling alone and on foot in the early hours, after three women were attacked within four miles of each other.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police are investigating attempted child abductions

A man has been charged after reports that a number of schoolchildren were approached by someone impersonating a police officer in Hornsey.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police would like to speak with this man (Picture: Metropolitan Police)

A 27-year-old man was punched in the face and pummelled as he lay on the ground in a sustained and unprovoked attack at a Bloomsbury bus stop.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
The two men police want to identify

A horrifying attack in Shoreditch has left a man with a fractured skull after he was beaten with wooden stakes.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport