Danny O’Shea trial: Ten planned to ‘exact revenge’, court told

15:48 06 February 2013

Danny O

Danny O'Shea, 18, died in Gill Ave yards from his house.


Ten men, including a top sports agent, took part in a “revenge attack” over a stolen Blackberry phone which resulted in the death of a teenager, a court heard.

Christopher Nathaniel, 40, his business partner Paul Boadi, 34, and eight other men are accused of killing the young man in Custom House on December 2 2011.

The teenager died after being beaten with baseball bats and stabbed in the throat just yards from his mother’s home in Gill Avenue, the Old Bailey heard.

Mark Heywood QC, prosecuting, said the defendants travelled to the area to “exact revenge” after Boadi’s mobile phone was stolen a week earlier.

“The plan was to teach a lesson,” Mr Heywood said.

“A lesson with violence that you do not mess with Paul Boadi, Christopher Nathanial, or anyone else.

“When it came to it, the plan was carried out with speed, with force and with zeal.”

Mr Heywood said Boadi was left “angry and upset” when as many as seven men attacked him and took his phone a week earlier.

He spoke to his friend Nathaniel and the pair arranged to return to the area with another eight men to hunt for those responsible, it was claimed.

“Plan of violence”

Eight of the men hired a mini bus to travel to Custom House on the evening of December 2, while Boadi and Nathaniel travelled in taxis, the court heard.

They spent more than two hours searching the area before they came across a group of young men, including Mr O’Shea, who they believed robbed Boadi and gave chase, Mr Heywood said.

Some of the men caught Mr O’Shea and began beating him before one of the defendants stabbed him in the neck, the court heard.

The defendants then fled as the teenager attempted to return home but he died at the scene, Mr Heywood said,

A Twitter message was allegedly published shortly after Mr O’Shea’s death, which read: “The element of surprise, such a beautiful thing.”

Mr Heywood said it was not known which defendant stabbed Mr O’Shea but claimed all of the accused were aware of the “plan of violence”.

“Each one was there to play a part,” he added.

“Some to spot, some to drive, some to drive away.

“Even so, every one was there to assist in some way.”

All of the accused deny murder and conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm.

The defendants are Nathaniel and Boadi, both of Docklands, east London; David Hylton, 47, from Holborn, central London; Andrew Johnson, 35, Paul Johnson, 33, and O’Neil Wareham, 30, all from Harrow, north west London; Ferron Perue, 24, from Birmingham; Kevin Richards, 32, from Harlesden, north London; Nugent Rowe, 29, from Pinner, Middlesex, and Scott Marius, 44, from Clinton Villas, west London.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
2 3 4 5 6

Latest Crime news

Friday, November 27, 2015
The youth attacked the women in Parliament Hill

A 16-year-old who bit a woman’s groin on Hampstead Heath, hit a man with a claw hammer and carried out violent and sexual assaults will serve just one year in jail.

Thursday, November 26, 2015
Do you recognise this man? (Picture: British Transport Police)

A large gang of young men surrounded a 17-year-old girl in West Ham Tube station and threw her to the floor in a frightening incident, British Transport Police (BTP) said today.

Thursday, November 26, 2015
Police cordoned off the pavement outside the Vodafone store in Finchley Road

The pavement outside a parade of shops on Finchley Road has been cordoned off after knife raiders threatened staff at a branch of Vodafone and made off with thousands of pounds worth of mobile phones.

Thursday, November 26, 2015
Police have released images of two men they would like to speak to after a woman was raped in Brixton last year (Picture: Metropolitan Police)

A young woman said she was raped after accepting a lift on leaving a Brixton club last year and today police have released images of men they would like to speak to about the attack.

Thursday, November 26, 2015
A child can be seen being manhandled by a person who appears to be a Subway worker in the video posted online (Picture: YouTube/Kyss McQueen)

Alarming footage of boys trying to smash their way into a north London Subway branch to release their friend - who appears to be locked inside and forcibly held by a Subway worker - has gone viral on social media.

Thursday, November 26, 2015
Vasilaki Kakko, a teenage boy who was stabbed to death in Holloway

A boy stabbed near Caledonian Road Tube station in Holloway, north London, has been named by police as Vasilaki Kakko.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...


MAC Makeup

MAC are renowned for their flawless, fabulous make up that is used worldwide by the stars. You too can have the chance to have the perfect makeup to suit your needs with £1,000 to spend on all the glam goodies you like!

Read more

You are never far from an Argos, wherever in the country you may be. They are like a magical cavern where whatever you need they seem to have it out the back behind the counter. So why not put them to the test with this great MyOffers competition to win £1000 to spend in-store.

Read more

Latest Tech News