EDL protests may explain Abu Qatada’s alleged bail breach, tribunal hears

12:44 20 May 2013

Radical cleric Abu Qatada’s alleged breach of his bail conditions may have been because of English Defence League (EDL) demonstations outside his house, Qatada’s lawyer told an immigration tribunal today.

EDL protests near Qatada’s London home frightened his family and left them panicked, which may have explained why they failed to take care of mobile phone devices in the home, Daniel Friedman QC said.

In March Qatada allegedly breached bail conditions which prevent him from turning mobile phones and possessing other communication devices at his taxpayer-funded home.

The terror suspect, who recently pledged to voluntarily leave Britain after years of fighting deportation, was then jailed in Belmarsh prison for the breach.

Speaking at Qatada’s Special Immigration Appeals Commission (Siac) to request bail, Friedman said Qatada accepts that six mobile phones belonging to his wife and his children could have been on but doubts that they were.

He added: “He didn’t use them and didn’t want to use them.”

Earlier this month, it emerged the controversial preacher is willing to return to the Middle East when a treaty between the UK and Jordan is ratified by both countries.

The agreement, unveiled by Home Secretary Theresa May last month, aims to allay fears that evidence extracted through torture will be used against the terror suspect at a retrial.

Friedman also said Qatada is a “proud and dignified man” who has been held in custody for too long

“He has been taken from his family on several occasions over the years into high risk security category-A units,” he said.

“He has been deprived of his liberty more than any other non-convicted person in British history.”

He added: “Against this background, he wants to spend time with his family to prepare to leave the country in a manner that safeguards the dignity and security of all involved.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, March 30, 2015
The hunt is on to find the three knifemen

A cyclist was the victim of a horrific unprovoked attack when he was stabbed five times by a trio of thugs - but still managed to get back on his bike and keep riding.

Monday, March 30, 2015
British Transport Police would like to speak to this woman pictured in the station on CCTV (Pic: British Transport Police)

Police are appealing for information after a deaf homeless woman was physically assaulted at Wanstead tube station over the weekend.

Monday, March 30, 2015
Black cab David Perry, 'abused position of trust' when preying on sleeping  passengers

Police fears pervert may have preyed on more victims during 25-year cabbie career

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police believe the attack took place behind the Surbiton KFC, on the Electric Parade (Pic: Google Maps)

Police are appealing for information after two men were seriously injured near a KFC in Surbiton.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been charged with murder after a man died at a house at East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...