Ex-Met Police detective admits faking records

11:48 12 September 2012

A former Metropolitan Police detective constable who specialised in rape and sexual assault cases has admitted faking police records and failing to investigate complaints properly.

Ryan Coleman-Farrow, 30, pleaded guilty to 13 counts of misconduct in a public office at Southwark Crown Court today.

The charges relate to rape and sexual assault investigations between January 2007 and September 2010 while he was working as Met Police officer.

He admitted entering on the police computer that the Crown Prosecution Service had advised that charges should be dropped in rape cases, when no such instruction had been given.

Coleman-Farrow also failed to get witness statements, falsified witness statements and did not send exhibits for analysis.

In one rape case he falsely claimed the alleged victim had dropped support for proceeding with charges, and in another that forensic tests on exhibits were negative, when they had not been carried out.

Prosecutor Mark Heywood QC told the court that in “almost all” of the 13 cases involved, no proceedings had resulted.

The investigations included 12 complainants and 11 suspects, he said.

Dressed in a grey suit and white shirt with pink tie, Coleman-Farrow, from St Leonards-on-Sea, Hastings, East Sussex, entered guilty pleas to each charge.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Wednesday, June 3, 2015
[Photograph by Tristan Newkey-Burden]

UPDATE: Police have also arrested a 21-year-old man for murder. He remains in custody whilst the girl has been bailed.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015
[Photo PC Kevin Buss]

680 cannabis plants were found and confiscated by police.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015
[Photo Steve Parsons/PA Wire]

Croydon police chased down and arrested two men just minutes after a 96-year-old Purley resident was burgled.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015
The attack happened in Manordene Road, Thamesmead

A 15-year-old boy suffered serious head injuries after a brutal attack in Manordene Road, Thamesmead on Saturday night.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015
Police would like to talk to this man about the attack

A pervert who prevents his victims from leaving the toilets of Burger King in Paddington while he subjects them to a terrifying sexual ordeal has struck for third time.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015
[Photo Met Police]

An independent review found officers and prosecutors need to improve the way they handle rape complaints.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

Read more
The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Read more
You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Read more