Gang crime crackdown in Althorne Way, Dagenham is a success, say police

12:19 10 April 2012

Althorne Way

Althorne Way

Archant

After two years of intensive policing, a road blighted by drugs, firearms, robberies and intimidating gangs has seen a drastic improvement, claim officers.

Heath Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) say Althorne Way in Dagenham, has been largely freed of gang-related crime and anti-social behaviour following regular police patrols, more than 100 arrests and three ASBOs.

Speaking to the Post last week, some residents said the area felt a little safer since the extra policing was put in to force but one woman, Steph Preston, claimed the problems have increased over the past couple of years.

The 20-year-old said: “There are lots of fights still and a gang that hang around near the shops. I still don’t feel safe. The police need to do more.”

In 2009 the street was listed as a Safer Neighbourhood policing priority due to gang activity, drugs and anti-social behaviour.

In October that year, following information from residents, a police search of the area was carried out and five firearms were found along with ammunition and a large quantity of drugs in the communal storage areas of the flats.

More than 20 gang members persistently loitered in the area intimidating residents, openly dealing and using drugs.

Officers formulated a policing plan which saw plain clothed and highly visible officers patrol the area on a regular basis, resulting in more than 100 arrests in two and half years.

Three ASBOs were also issued to key members of a gang.

Sgt for Heath SNT, Rob Simmonds, said: “At one point this group appeared to believe they were untouchable. It has taken in excess of two years, but no-one is exempt from the law.”

Resident Oliver Malcolm, 39, said the area had seen a improvement since the police crackdown began: “For a while there were a lot of young people loitering around and causing a nuisance but it’s better now. I think the police have made a difference.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Simpson-Kent was captured in Ghana after fleeing the UK following the death of his partner Sian Blake and their two children (Photo: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire)

Sian Blake’s partner has been charged with the murders of the ex-EastEnders actress and their two children, police have said.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Police are keen to identify this man (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

Police are asking south London women to be vigilant if travelling alone and on foot in the early hours, after three women were attacked within four miles of each other.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police are investigating attempted child abductions

A man has been charged after reports that a number of schoolchildren were approached by someone impersonating a police officer in Hornsey.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police would like to speak with this man (Picture: Metropolitan Police)

A 27-year-old man was punched in the face and pummelled as he lay on the ground in a sustained and unprovoked attack at a Bloomsbury bus stop.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
The two men police want to identify

A horrifying attack in Shoreditch has left a man with a fractured skull after he was beaten with wooden stakes.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport