Government launches legal challenge over Abu Qatada ruling

12:25 03 December 2012

Terror suspect Abu Qatada won a battle to stay in the UK. Picture: Rui Vieira/PA Wire

Terror suspect Abu Qatada won a battle to stay in the UK. Picture: Rui Vieira/PA Wire

Home Secretary Theresa May has lodged a legal challenge against the decision to allow radical north London preacher Abu Qatada to stay in the UK.

Last month the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (SIAC) ruled that Qatada should not be deported to Jordan where he was convicted of terror charges in his absence in 1999.

The SIAC judges ruled on November 12 that evidence from Qatada’s former co-defendants Abu Hawsher and Al-Hamasher, said to have been obtained by torture, could be used against him in a retrial.

Today Theresa May submitted grounds for appeal to the Court of Appeal in a bid to overturn SIAC’s decision.

The only way the ruling can be challenged is if it is found that there were legal problems with the commission’s ruling.

Following the ruling, Mrs May immediately pledged to appeal and told the Commons that day that Jordan had given assurances about its legal processes.

She said: “Qatada is a dangerous man, a suspected terrorist, who is accused of serious crime in his home country of Jordan.

“The British Government has obtained from the Jordanian government assurances not just in relation to the treatment of Qatada himself, but about the quality of the legal processes that would be followed throughout his trial. We will therefore seek leave to appeal.”

Qatada was immediately granted bail following the ruling and released from HMP Long Lartin, returning to his family home.

He is said to have wide and high-level support among extremists, and featured in hate sermons found on videos in the flat of one of the September 11 bombers.

The extremist has battled deportation for over a decade and has so far thwarted every attempt by the Government to deport him.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, April 20, 2015
Police would like to speak to this man [Images from Metropolitan Police]

Police are hunting a man who groped a woman on a bus bound for Heathrow Airport.

Monday, April 20, 2015
Muhammed Tahir is forbidden to use the tube [Photo: British Transport Police]

A middle-aged man from Hackney has been banned from using the London Underground after he was found guilty of sexually assaulting a female passenger.

Monday, April 20, 2015
The Cathay Airways pilot has been released on bail pending a further investigation (Photo by Christian Keenan/Getty Images)

A pilot has been arrested at London Heathrow airport after he allegedly tried to travel with a number of knives on a passenger flight to Hong Kong, police have said.

Monday, April 20, 2015
Asim Marku was skilled in Leyton on Thursday last week [Photo: Metropolitan Police]

The Metropolitan Police have arrested 43-year-old Hysni Aydyli in connection with the murder of a 34-year-old man in Leyton.

Sunday, April 19, 2015
Peter Fox was captured on CCTV in Euston Station [Photo: Metropolitan Police]

Police have released CCTV pictures of Peter Fox walking through Euston station and appealed for the 26-year-old to contact them after his mother and sister were found dead.

Sunday, April 19, 2015
Murder victim Abdul Arwani

A fourth person has been arrested in the hunt for the murderer of an imam in north London, Scotland Yard has revealed.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...