Government refused Supreme Court challenge over Abu Qatada deportation

14:25 23 April 2013

The government has been refused permission to take its fight to remove preacher Abu Qatada from the UK to the Supreme Court, the Judicial Office said today.

Last month, Home Secretary Theresa May lost her appeal court challenge over the decision to allow the radical preacher to stay in the UK.

In March, the Court of Appeal backed an earlier ruling that Qatada, also known as Omar Othman, could not be deported over fears that evidence obtained through torture would be used against him.

At the Court of Appeal, Mrs May’s lawyers had challenged a ruling made in November 2012 by immigration judges on the grounds that Qatada was a “truly dangerous” individual who had escaped deportation through “errors of law”.

But three appeal judges said the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (Siac) was entitled to conclude that disputed statements will be used against Qatada.

A resident in the UK since September 1993, Qatada was returned to jail last month after he was arrested for alleged bail breaches.

A hearing over whether he should be granted bail again was due to be held last month, but was delayed.

Police searched Qatada’s family home in London before he was held and have since said that he is being investigated over extremist material.

The government can still apply directly to the Supreme Court in a bid to take the case further.

The normal process is to submit a permission to appeal application which would then be considered by three Supreme Court justices.

They would decide whether or not the application raised a point of law of general public importance.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, March 30, 2015
The hunt is on to find the three knifemen

A cyclist was the victim of a horrific unprovoked attack when he was stabbed five times by a trio of thugs - but still managed to get back on his bike and keep riding.

Monday, March 30, 2015
British Transport Police would like to speak to this woman pictured in the station on CCTV (Pic: British Transport Police)

Police are appealing for information after a deaf homeless woman was physically assaulted at Wanstead tube station over the weekend.

Monday, March 30, 2015
Black cab David Perry, 'abused position of trust' when preying on sleeping  passengers

Police fears pervert may have preyed on more victims during 25-year cabbie career

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police believe the attack took place behind the Surbiton KFC, on the Electric Parade (Pic: Google Maps)

Police are appealing for information after two men were seriously injured near a KFC in Surbiton.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been charged with murder after a man died at a house at East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...