Graffiti vandal who caused £17,000 worth of damage let off without a fine

13:45 16 May 2012

Teenager targets Overground trains

Teenager targets Overground trains

Archant

A 17-year-old graffiti vandal who caused £17,000 worth of damage to trains and council property has been told to carry out community service.

The teenager sprayed his unique signature on walls, signal cables, carriages and fence lines at stations on the Underground’s Overground line – including Gospel Oak and Euston Road stations.

British Transport Police traced the Islington teenager after recognising his tag from previous offences in 2010.

The 17-year-old caused £2,800.48 worth of damage to train carriages at Gospel Oak station and £1,407.24 to a train carriage in Euston Station.

He also vandalised £8,400 of Islington Council property during his year-long spree, which started in January last year.

He pleaded guilty to 12 counts of criminal damage at Highbury Corner Magistrates Court on May 1.

The teenager, who cannot be named due to his age, was slapped with youth rehabilitation orders, a youth social behaviour order, an anti-social behaviour order. He was also told to serve 100 hours of community service, but was not fined because of his limited means.

Transport for London is seeking an anti-social behaviour order to ban him from the Overground line.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, March 30, 2015
The hunt is on to find the three knifemen

A cyclist was the victim of a horrific unprovoked attack when he was stabbed five times by a trio of thugs - but still managed to get back on his bike and keep riding.

Monday, March 30, 2015
British Transport Police would like to speak to this woman pictured in the station on CCTV (Pic: British Transport Police)

Police are appealing for information after a deaf homeless woman was physically assaulted at Wanstead tube station over the weekend.

Monday, March 30, 2015
Black cab David Perry, 'abused position of trust' when preying on sleeping  passengers

Police fears pervert may have preyed on more victims during 25-year cabbie career

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police believe the attack took place behind the Surbiton KFC, on the Electric Parade (Pic: Google Maps)

Police are appealing for information after two men were seriously injured near a KFC in Surbiton.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been charged with murder after a man died at a house at East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...