Harringay man first in London to be sentenced for inciting riots

15:26 08 May 2012

Terry Balson set up a Facebook page inciting others to riot

Terry Balson set up a Facebook page inciting others to riot

Archant

A “thrill-seeker” who used a Facebook page to encourage disorder during the riots has been locked up for two years in the first case of its kind in London.

Terry Balson, 20, set up an open page on the popular social networking site called “For the riot (f**k the feds)”, which could have inspired violence in Wood Green and Barnet.

He was named and shamed by social media users, who reported him to police.

Balson, who lived at the time in Effingham Road, Harringay, and later in Landsdowne Road, Tottenham, created the page from a computer at Wood Green Central Library in High Road on August 9 last year, when the capital was in the grip of widespread violence and looting.

Comments he posted on the site included “Barnet High Road is the spot apparently, who is on it?” and “Come to Wood Green at 6pm”.

Jobless Balson - the first person to be sentenced for inciting people to riot in London - was arrested after members of the public reported the site to police, Wood Green Crown Court heard.

His event page attracted 20 members, and the same night a police station in Colindale, Barnet, and a mobile police office in a Barnet housing estate were attacked, alongside stores at Brent Cross Shopping Centre.

Balson admitted incitement to riot at an earlier hearing, and sentencing him to two years in a young offenders’ institution, Judge Simon Carr said on Tuesday: “Your involvement was very specific on what would have been the third day of the riots, when everyone would have been aware of the destruction and loss of life that was occurring.”

He added: “You did this, it would seem, because you see thrill-seeking as part of your reason for being.

“You take risks for the sake of taking risks and although I accept you are a man of good character, you have in the past, as part of your desire for excitement, walked on the edge of criminality.”

Judge Carr said two people who had set up a similar account but closed it down, and pleaded guilty, had been jailed for four years.

But he said he had “nothing but sympathy” for Balson, who had a difficult childhood after being diagnosed with ADHD, and four years would be “out of kilter with what is necessary and appropriate”.

Det Con Chris Ladmore, investigating officer from the Operation Withern north team, said: “In interview Balson admitted the offence and stated that rioting was OK if it wasn’t on your own doorstep.”

He said Balson, now of Halton Road, Islington, “caused widespread fear and panic to the residents of Barnet whom had already witnessed the events in Tottenham”.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Mohammed Yasser Afzal

The man accused of murdering a minicab controller admitted in a typed letter found in his pocket that he killed him “because of his own crazy feelings”, a court heard today.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Demetris Costa Hapeshi used the University's database to get a student's phone number  [Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images]

A lecturer who discussed sex toys with his students - and even kissed one of them - is fit to carry on working, a tribunal has ruled.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
John Webster slashed his victim's neck with a kitchen knife and shards of glass while telling her he loved her

A father-of-three launched a brutal assault on his ex partner, slashing her neck with a kitchen knife and shards of glass and kicking her in the head - all while telling her he ‘loved her’.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
The man died after being attacked in Cumberland Park, Acton (Pic: Google)

A murder investigation has been launched following the discovery of a man’s body at an flat in Cumberland Park, Acton.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015
The incident took place outside this bank on Ewell Road this morning [Image from Google StreetView]

The HSBC bank in Tolworth’s Ewell Road was robbed this morning at 9.30am.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015
The crime scene this morning [Photograph by @Leotheunsure]

A 30-year-old man is in a ‘critical condition’ in hospital this morning after he was shot in a suspected gang crime in Redbridge.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...