Hoxton man Sam Hallam to be freed on bail today after seven years jail over Finsbury murder

15:04 16 May 2012

Sam Hallam at Bullingdon Prison

Sam Hallam at Bullingdon Prison

Sam Hallam Campaign

Hoxton man Sam Hallam is set to be freed from prison after seven years following dramatic and emotional scenes at a court of appeal hearing today.

He has been in jail for seven years since being convicted of the murder of Essayas Kasshun who was stabbed on St Luke’s Estate, Finsbury, in 2004.

The gallery erupted in cheers and screams of delight as Mr P Wilcox QC, for the Crown, said they would not be opposing the appeal.

Rising to his feet immediately after the break for lunch, he said: “We have given the matter anxious consideration over a good deal of time. We do not intend to oppose the appeal.”

Lady Justice Hallett said: “Try to keep calm. We will make our judgement tomorrow.”

Mr Hallam will be released today on bail pending the judgement.

Mr Kasshun was attacked by a gang of youths and died in hospital two days later. The following year Mr Hallam, then 17, was one of two people convicted of the murder.

Now 24, Mr Hallam has always maintained his innocence.

Friends and relatives convinced of his innocence joined in a pre-appeal vigil on Tuesday night. Crowds of people turned out at St John’s Church, in Hoxton, despite the pouring rain and released hundreds of yellow balloons into the night sky to symbolise their hopes for his release.

Earlier today his barrister referred to “a case that was crying out for judicial intervention.”

Lady Justice Hallett DBE, who sat alongside Mr Justice Spencer and Mr Justice Openshaw, asked the defence to focus on what she called the “three planks of the crown’s case”.

These were the testimony of a male and female witness and the question of Mr Hallam’s “false” alibi.

The court heard Mr Blaxland QC, for Mr Hallam, question how the female witness had changed her evidence. He said: “There was nothing in her original statement – no reference at all to Sam Hallam. The police said there was nothing to suggest she had seen somebody she recognised but could not name. There was no Mr X.”

The witness later claimed she had recognised Mr Hallam, and he said police had asked her leading questions to make the identification sound more positive in court.

The hearing continues.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police believe the attack took place behind the Surbiton KFC, on the Electric Parade (Pic: Google Maps)

Police are appealing for information after two men were seriously injured near a KFC in Surbiton.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man died in East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015

We previously ran an appeal asking the public to report any sightings of Joshua Packman, a young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield.

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...