Humanists fail in Richmond faith school legal battle

08:51 17 November 2012

Opponents argued the school will not be inclusive. File picture: PA Wire/Chris Radburn

Opponents argued the school will not be inclusive. File picture: PA Wire/Chris Radburn

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Parents and members of the British Humanist Association (BHA) have failed in a High Court bid to block proposals for two new Catholic schools in Twickenham.

They had aimed to overturn Richmond council’s decision to offer the Catholic Diocese of Westminster a site in Clifden Road.

The parents come from different backgrounds and say all new state schools in Richmond should have admissions policies that are religiously inclusive.

But Mr Justice Sales, sitting in London, rejected their application for judicial review and said he would give his full reasons at a later date.

The judge upheld Richmond Council’s argument that it did not misdirect itself or act unlawfully over the faith schools.

Andrew Copson, chief executive of the BHA, said later: “We are disappointed, but once we see the full reasons for this judgment we will appeal if we possibly can.

“Today’s case hinged on very technical issues but it raises wider questions relating to religious schools.”

BHA launched its legal action jointly with the Richmond Inclusive Schools Campaign (RISC).

Last year more than 3,300 local people supported a RISC petition to the council objecting to faith schools that were exclusive and calling for all new borough schools to be inclusive.

But the council voted to buy the land for £8.4 million and invite the Catholic Diocese of Westminster to submit proposals for two “voluntary-aided” Catholic schools.

In May, the council decided to lease the Clifden Road land for educational purposes to the Diocese for a peppercorn rent.

David Wolfe QC, representing both BHA and RISC, told the High Court the new primary school would, if oversubscribed, give priority to Catholic pupils when allocating all but 10 of its 30 places a year.

The secondary school would initially give priority to Catholics in all of its 150 places a year, although making exceptions for applicants coming from the 10 “community” places at the primary school.

After seven years, 93 per cent of its places were expected to be allotted on the basis of religion.

Mr Wolfe argued that the council had breached its statutory obligation under section 6A of the 2006 Education and Inspections Act to take steps to seek proposals setting up an academy school offering more non-religious places.

He told Mr Justice Sales that the council conducted a flawed consultation exercise and had sought to bypass its statutory duty.

Disagreeing, the judge said “section 6A does not apply in the circumstances” and he was satisfied that the consultation exercise was lawful.

Today’s ruling could have important general implications as it is in effect a test case on changes to education law introduced by the Government earlier this year.

It is also believed to be the first legal challenge to the opening of new faith schools.

The judge also rejected the claim that the council had conducted a legally flawed consultation.

He ruled it had not been misleading, defective or unlawful.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Mr Packman went missing from the Dennis Scott Unit of Edgware Community Hospital in 2012 [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield has absconded, and police have warned the public not to approach Joshua Packman if they see him.

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Mohammed Yasser Afzal

The man accused of murdering a minicab controller admitted in a typed letter found in his pocket that he killed him “because of his own crazy feelings”, a court heard today.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Demetris Costa Hapeshi used the University's database to get a student's phone number  [Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images]

A lecturer who discussed sex toys with his students - and even kissed one of them - is fit to carry on working, a tribunal has ruled.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...