Jail for illegal immigrant who killed man during burglary

11:45 21 May 2013

Ted Syrad had a heart attack and died after being beaten up in his Bexleyheath home. Picture: Metropolitan Police

Ted Syrad had a heart attack and died after being beaten up in his Bexleyheath home. Picture: Metropolitan Police

Archant

An illegal immigrant who killed a retired businessman during a burglary was today jailed for 20 years.

Gezim Delijah beat up Ted Syrad, 64, so he would reveal where the keys to his safe were kept.

After he was punched and kicked, Mr Syrad died from a heart attack before he was found on the kitchen floor of his home in Edendale Road, Bexleyheath, by his wife Anne, 62, who had been tied up and threatened with death.

Delijah, an Albanian national of Walthamstow, and his accomplice escaped with £7,000 after Mrs Syrad gave up the safe keys.

Yesterday Delijah, 40, was found guilty at the Old Bailey of manslaughter and robbery.

Judge Richard Hone said the men had expected “rich pickings” because of inside information that Mrs Syrad had collected rents from the family property business.

Mr Syrad had been in poor health. The judge told Delijah: “Vulnerable he unquestionably was, but unlike you, he was a brave man who put up a fight.

“This is a bad case. People of all ages, but especially older people, are entitled to feel safe in their homes.”

David Jeremy QC, said Mrs Syrad did not see what happened to her husband because she was tied up in the bedroom of the couple’s bungalow home in January last year.

They kept a safe in their garage and were security minded with lights and locks.

But while Mrs Syrad watched Celebrity Big Brother on television, Mr Syrad was downstairs with the back door open because he was smoking.

Mrs Syrad said in a statement that her husband had been “a loving husband, father and grandfather”.

She suffered flashbacks and had been forced to sell her home and possessions as she could not face going back there.

The second burglar, who had an Irish accent and like Delijah was wearing a balaclava, has not been caught.

Det Ch Insp Cliff Lyons said outside court: “This was clearly a sinister, targeted, well-researched attack.

“There is a second man at large and police are still working on this case. We are steadfast in our conviction to find this man.”

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Simpson-Kent was captured in Ghana after fleeing the UK following the death of his partner Sian Blake and their two children (Photo: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire)

Sian Blake’s partner has been charged with the murders of the ex-EastEnders actress and their two children, police have said.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Police are keen to identify this man (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

Police are asking south London women to be vigilant if travelling alone and on foot in the early hours, after three women were attacked within four miles of each other.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police are investigating attempted child abductions

A man has been charged after reports that a number of schoolchildren were approached by someone impersonating a police officer in Hornsey.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police would like to speak with this man (Picture: Metropolitan Police)

A 27-year-old man was punched in the face and pummelled as he lay on the ground in a sustained and unprovoked attack at a Bloomsbury bus stop.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
The two men police want to identify

A horrifying attack in Shoreditch has left a man with a fractured skull after he was beaten with wooden stakes.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport