Wembley man jailed for possessing a loaded converted Olympic pistol

14:03 11 April 2012

Robert Shorter has been jailed for seven years

Robert Shorter has been jailed for seven years

Archant

Court heard 34-year-old was caught after officers searched a car in Northolt

A Wembley man caught with a loaded gun after police searched a car he was seen getting out of has been jailed for seven years.

Robert Shorter, of Ranelagh Road, was snared after he was spotted by officers in Northolt in the vehicle which had a history of firearm offences.

Isleworth Crown Court heard when the 34-year-old realised he had been spotted by the officers he fled into a nearby address in the hope that he had avoided any police action.

However, the car was kept under observation while armed officers were called to the scene and he was arrested as he left the property.

A search of the car uncovered a loaded converted .38mm Olympic pistol and Shorter was subsequently charge with possession of a firearm and ammunition.

Last week, during his five-day trial Shorter denied any wrongdoing but the jury unanimously found him guilty.

The judge deemed the offence so serious that he sentenced Shorter on the same day as the verdict.

He was sentenced to seven years for possession of the firearm and five for possession of the ammunition.

He will serve his jail terms concurrently.

Detective Sergeant Chris Hudson from Ealing Borough Police Serious Violence Team said: ‘We are really pleased with this result.

“Shorter maintained his innocence throughout this trial and claimed he was the innocent victim of lending the vehicle to his associates and had no knowledge of the firearm in the vehicle.

“However, thanks to the evidence presented, this man is now in jail and no longer a danger to the public.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Police would like to speak to this man (Picture: Met Police)

A predator sexually assaulted a 17-year-old girl in broad daylight as she waited for a bus on Brixton Road, police said.

Monday, July 27, 2015
Police would like to speak to this man (Picture: British Transport Police)

A 63-year-old was left with a bleeding nose and spit on his face after an argument with a man he bumped into on a Baker Street Tube station escalator, British Transport Police (BTP) said.

Monday, July 27, 2015
The innocent man was attacked by a gang of men on Tower Bridge

This shocking video shows a gang of around 12 hooded thugs attacking an innocent man on Tower Bridge in an unprovoked ‘vicious’ assault.

Monday, July 27, 2015
Police believe this man can help with their enquiries (Picture: Met Police)

The hunt is on for a pervert who sexually assaulted a woman on a Hackney bus as it drove near Shoreditch Town Hall.

Monday, July 27, 2015
A huge fight broke out at Woolwich Tesco Extra in south-east London (Picture: Google Street View)

This shocking video shows a late night mass brawl between shoppers at Woolwich Tesco over the weekend.

Monday, July 27, 2015
The driver's shocking injuries (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

A black cab driver was left unconscious and covered in blood after he asked his passengers to pay a standard clean-up fee for being sick in his taxi.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Take in the stunning sites of London from the summit of the O2!

Up at The O2 has teamed up with London24 to give one lucky reader the chance to experience urban mountaineering this summer with an exhilarating 90-minute climb across the roof of one of London’s most iconic landmarks.

Read more
Terrific tea, creamy cakes and splendid sandwiches at Mews of Mayfair.

Celebrate a truly quintessentially British tradition with the chance of winning a luxurious Afternoon Tea for two people at Mews of Mayfair, complete with a glass of Veuve Clicquot champagne.

Read more
Get up close and personal to this global phenomenon!

Following a sell-out 2014 run, the global phenomenon that is Michael Flatley’s Lord of the Dance: Dangerous Games is back in London, running at the Dominion Theatre in the heart of the West End until 5th September 2015.

Read more