Jailed: Tottenham carer filmed abusing pensioner in Kentish Town care home

07:00 21 April 2012

Care worker Jonathan Aquino arriving at Blackfriars Crown Court. Picture: Kevin Dunnett/Central News

Care worker Jonathan Aquino arriving at Blackfriars Crown Court. Picture: Kevin Dunnett/Central News

Central News

A Tottenham man secretly filmed slapping an elderly Alzheimer’s sufferer he was supposed to be caring for has been jailed for 18 months.

Jonathan Aquino, of Springfield Road, was caught on camera abusing 80-year-old Maria Worroll after her daughter Jane began to suspect her mother was being mistreated at her care home.

The harrowing images - captured just five days after the camera was secretly installed - show Aquino suddenly strike the retired school canteen manager in the face, slap her arms repeatedly then hit her four times in the abdomen.

The Filipino national, a registered nurse who has an 18-month-old daughter, burst into tears and apologised as soon as he was told of the film, but refused to answer detectives’ questions when interviewed.

Aquino later admitted common assault and ill treatment of a vulnerable person at Blackfriars Crown Court.

Sentencing, Judge Henry Blacksell told 30-year-old Aquino he was guilty of a “dreadful breach of trust” - adding the footage was distressing for anyone to watch.

“This poor woman had been transferred to this institution in the hope that she should receive proper care and attention,” he said.

“Quite rightly, society in general is extremely concerned about the treatment of the elderly and vulnerable in institutions such as this.

“They should be able to expect better, and I am afraid those who are caught misusing their responsibility should be held to account.”

Brinder Soora, prosecuting, said during the trial it was “clearly evident” that the home’s own rules were frequently breached by its care staff - including ones which stated two care workers must be present when a resident is put to bed, and bathing and cleaning should be carried out by a female care worker.

But a spokesman for Ash Court, in Kentish Town, said this was an “isolated incident”, adding they were pleased justice had been done.

“Although this was an isolated incident, it is a sad reminder than an individual is able to commit a criminal act even in the most professionally-run and highly regulated environment,” she said. “The staff team at Ash Court have provided many years of excellent care and were shocked by this truly unacceptable behaviour.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this woman about the incident

Police have released an image of a woman they want to speak to after a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf was racially abused on a Piccadilly line train.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Peter Mussett sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl on the DLR

A 32-year-old man carried out an ‘incredibly frightening’ sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl travelling alone on the DLR.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police have released a CCTV image of a cyclist believed to have knocked a woman to the ground.

CCTV images of a cyclist accused of forcefully knocking a woman over in Bermondsey before speeding off have been released by police.

Thursday, April 23, 2015
Ambrose Ball has been missing since January 24

Police have recovered a body from the River Lea and believe it may be that of Ambrose Ball, who went missing in January after crashing his car.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Scotland Yard would like to speak to this man in connection with the attack [Photo by Metropolitan Police]

A 13-year-old girl was sexually attacked on a Bromley-bound bus, police have revealed.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
The man was attacked until he got off the train at King's Cross station (Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

A Victoria Line passenger was subjected to a vile racist tirade after asking a man not to spit on the Underground.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.