Jetset couple from Silvertown jailed after £700,000 tax credit scam

12:00 09 April 2012

A jetset couple who swindled at least £700,000 in benefits to build a “property empire at the taxpayer’s expense” are behind bars.

Afonso Daniel, 44, and his common-law wife Ana Ferreira, 31, used a wealth of fake documents to make bogus tax credit claims in 30 different identities.

Daniel enjoyed trips around the globe on the profits from the six-year “sophisticated attack” on a system designed to support working families on low wages.

The pair, who have four young children and joint Angolan nationality, used the money to make investments in five properties in Britain and Portugal.

A sixth address, a Newham Council-owned terraced house in Newlands Street, Silvertown, was used to register some of the benefits. They had previously lived in Stubbs Point, Plaistow, before setting up home in Frome, East Tilbury, Essex.

Daniel was jailed for four years and three months on Wednesday while Ferreira for two years and five months.

Gideon Cammerman, prosecuting, said DWP investigators swooped on April 7, last year, following a surveillance operation.

The couple got friends and family to obtain National Insurance numbers for making the claims.

They then set up front companies to pose as employers of the applicants, and bogus bank accounts for the benefits to be paid into.

Daniel also falsely reported a succession of his own passports stolen to feed them into the con.

Daniel travelled extensively, at least 18 trips to Portugal between 2005 and 2009, and to Madrid, Turkey, Dubai and the Caribbean.

The authorities have frozen UK assets, including bank accounts and properties.

Prosecutors have started confiscation proceedings to try and claw back some of the money.

Daniel and Ferreira admitted conspiracy to defraud the Revenue and conspiracy to possess false identity documents.

Mike Boardman, defending Daniel, said the cheat “is doing whatever he can to put matters right and to get back to his children.”

Adam Wiseman, defending Ferreira, said her part in the scam had been “parasitic”.

Judge Nigel Gerald said: “This was a prolonged, sustained, systematic, carefully planned, exacted and sophisticated attack on the tax credit system.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police believe the attack took place behind the Surbiton KFC, on the Electric Parade (Pic: Google Maps)

Police are appealing for information after two men were seriously injured near a KFC in Surbiton.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man died in East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015

We previously ran an appeal asking the public to report any sightings of Joshua Packman, a young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield.

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...