Jimmy Savile investigation: 31 allegations of rape against late presenter

20:28 12 December 2012

Jimmy Savile. Picture: Lewis Whyld/PA Wire

Jimmy Savile. Picture: Lewis Whyld/PA Wire

The Met Police has recorded 31 allegations of rape against the late Jimmy Savile.

The force launched Operation Yewtree to assess and scope claims of sexual assault by Savile 10 weeks ago.

Scotland Yard said today that the majority of work in relation to offences reported against him acting alone has now been completed, “although further victims may yet come forward and we would still encourage them to do so”.

To date there have been 31 allegations of rape recorded against Savile in seven force areas, and 199 crimes in 17 force areas in which Savile is a suspect.

The Met also said a total of 589 people have come forward with information and of these 450 relate to Savile, mainly alleging sexual abuse.

The force and the NSPCC are now collating a report with the aim of providing as clear an overview as possible on Savile’s activities.

Of those who have reported abuse, 82 per cent are female and 80 per cent of total victims were children or young people.

Scotland Yard said that “these levels of reporting of sexual abuse against a single individual are unprecedented in the UK and 12 other enquiries or related reviews have been launched since the television broadcast on October 4 in which five women recounted being abused by Savile”.

The profile of the case against Savile has also led to a “significant increase in the reporting of both non-recent child abuse that’s not related to Jimmy Savile and previously undisclosed adult serious sexual offences”, the Met said.

In London there has been a four-fold increase in reports to the Met’s child abuse investigation teams - there were 55 reports of non-recent rape and serious sexual offences in the month prior to the launch of Operation Yewtree compared to 299 in the month following it.

Commander Peter Spindler, head of Specialist Crime Investigations, said: “Once again I want to pay tribute to those who have spoken out and bravely shared their experiences of sexual assault.

“As a result of their collective efforts we have a great opportunity to learn from the past, develop our understanding of sexual exploitation and improve our safeguarding procedures.

“Our response should send a clear warning to anyone today now in a position of power and influence who abuse their status to sexually exploit children and young people - victims will be listened to and robust action taken.”

Anyone who has not come forward but who has information or concerns they would like to raise should contact the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
2 3 4 5 6

Latest Crime news

Thursday, November 26, 2015
Do you recognise this man? (Picture: British Transport Police)

A large gang of young men surrounded a 17-year-old girl in West Ham Tube station and threw her to the floor in a frightening incident, British Transport Police (BTP) said today.

Thursday, November 26, 2015
Police have released images of two men they would like to speak to after a woman was raped in Brixton last year (Picture: Metropolitan Police)

A young woman said she was raped after accepting a lift on leaving a Brixton club last year and today police have released images of men they would like to speak to about the attack.

Thursday, November 26, 2015
Victim Donna Stringer in hospital following the fire

This picture shows Donna Stringer, a 43-year-old with learning disabilities who needs a wheelchair, fighting for her life in hospital after cowardly thugs targeted her Barking care home with fireworks, causing devastating damage and leaving her in intensive care.

Thursday, November 26, 2015
Police cordoned off the pavement outside the Vodafone store in Finchley Road

The pavement outside a parade of shops on Finchley Road has been cordoned off after knife raiders threatened staff at a branch of Vodafone and made off with thousands of pounds worth of mobile phones.

Thursday, November 26, 2015
A child can be seen being manhandled by a person who appears to be a Subway worker in the video posted online (Picture: YouTube/Kyss McQueen)

Alarming footage of boys trying to smash their way into a north London Subway branch to release their friend - who appears to be locked inside and forcibly held by a Subway worker - has gone viral on social media.

Thursday, November 26, 2015
Vasilaki Kakko, a teenage boy who was stabbed to death in Holloway

A boy stabbed near Caledonian Road Tube station in Holloway, north London, has been named by police as Vasilaki Kakko.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...


MAC Makeup

MAC are renowned for their flawless, fabulous make up that is used worldwide by the stars. You too can have the chance to have the perfect makeup to suit your needs with £1,000 to spend on all the glam goodies you like!

Read more

You are never far from an Argos, wherever in the country you may be. They are like a magical cavern where whatever you need they seem to have it out the back behind the counter. So why not put them to the test with this great MyOffers competition to win £1000 to spend in-store.

Read more

Latest Tech News