Justice delayed in London for Olympic Games as courts shut

11:52 07 May 2012

Zeeshan Choudhary was killed in June last year

Zeeshan Choudhary was killed in June last year

Archant

Almost half of the courtrooms handling the most serious criminal cases in London will be closed down by the Olympics.

Of the 138 courtrooms across London’s 11 crown courts, only between 72 and 75 of them (52%-54%) will be sitting during the 17 days of the Olympics, plans reveal.

Crown courts near key venues and travel hotspots will stop sitting or offer only a reduced service during the Games amid fears of travel chaos for victims, jurors and others getting to and from the courts.

Most criminal courts will aim to reduce operating levels as they try to complete any trials before the opening ceremony on July 27.

The new arrangements, which start to come into effect from July 23, will see all crown courts in the capital reduce the number of courtrooms they have available for cases.

Kingston Crown Court will not sit at all when the cycling time trial passes nearby on August 1, and the Royal Courts of Justice will hear only emergency applications on July 30 and 31.

A spokesman for Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunal Service (HMCTS) said: “We have only reduced court and tribunal sittings at those buildings close to Olympic venues and known travel hotspots and are in the process of rescheduling listings to ensure that any displaced work is dealt with either before or in the weeks immediately after the Games.

“We have worked with the police and other partners in developing our Olympic planning and have considered how likely travel disruption might affect users getting to and from courts and tribunals.”

The detailed plans show all London’s crown courts “will begin to reduce operating levels as trials are completed” in the week beginning July 23.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Sunday, February 14, 2016
Police are keen to identify this man (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

A reward of up to £10,000 is being offered to help catch a sickeningly violent thug who has carried out a series of shocking attacks on women in and around Peckham, south London.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Belsize Park Gardens

A terrified mother told how she was strangled until she lost consciousness and robbed in front of her two-year-old daughter.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Simpson-Kent was captured in Ghana after fleeing the UK following the death of his partner Sian Blake and their two children (Photo: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire)

Sian Blake’s partner has been charged with the murders of the ex-EastEnders actress and their two children, police have said.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Police are keen to identify this man (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

Police are asking south London women to be vigilant if travelling alone and on foot in the early hours, after three women were attacked within four miles of each other.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police are investigating attempted child abductions

A man has been charged after reports that a number of schoolchildren were approached by someone impersonating a police officer in Hornsey.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport