Kasey Gordon murder: Judge blasts Tottenham killer’s ‘inadequate’ care home

17:24 16 May 2012

Serif Aslan was found guilty of the murder of schoolboy Kasey Gordon in Tottenham

Serif Aslan was found guilty of the murder of schoolboy Kasey Gordon in Tottenham

Archant

A judge today accused a Tottenham care home of being “wholly inadequate” as he sentenced one of its patients to a minimum of 20 years behind bars for the murder of local schoolboy Kasey Gordon.

Judge Richard Marks said Ashness House had failed to ensure Serif Aslan was taking his medication properly in the months which led up to him stabbing the 15-year-old through the heart with a kitchen knife in front of horrified shoppers on West Green Road in January last year.

Judge Marks told paranoid schizophrenic Aslan his “non-compliance” with his medication plan had played a significant role in the murder, but he criticised the private care home, in Philip Lane, for its systems which “were plainly wholly inadequate” in Aslan’s case – an accusation Ashness House, rated excellent by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) in 2009, has refuted.

Director Nick Purchase said: “All our medication processes were monitored by the CQC, the police and the clinical team at the time. We had systems in place for when Aslan did not take it on that one occasion.”

Judge Marks said alarm bells should have rung when Aslan, 34, began experiencing psychotic symptoms and paranoid ideas in November and December 2010 and rushed into his room “on two occasions” after he had been given medication, giving rise to suspicions he had not in fact swallowed the drugs.

Judge Marks told Aslan: “All of these matters in my view should have put those who were entrusted with your care at Ashness House on notice... to ensure that you were very closely monitored so as to check you were taking your medication. This clearly did not happen.”

Aslan is now facing the prospect of life behind bars after Judge Marks sentenced him to a minimum of 20 years at the Old Bailey – but the jail term is nothing compared to the hole left in the lives of the Park View pupil’s family.

His mother Verona said: “There are no words. There is nothing I can say that will help anyone to comprehend the death and the incomprehensibility of a future without Kasey. My home is no longer a home, but a house with a bolt. I pass his bedroom every day and feel such ache in my soul. Where has my boy gone from my life?

“It is unbearable not to hear him calling me or seeing his smile come through the door. He was the soul of my family.”

But she said she was not looking for “justice or retribution” for Aslan, asking: “That man is truly insane. What justice would we gain?”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this woman about the incident

Police have released an image of a woman they want to speak to after a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf was racially abused on a Piccadilly line train.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Peter Mussett sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl on the DLR

A 32-year-old man carried out an ‘incredibly frightening’ sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl travelling alone on the DLR.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police have released a CCTV image of a cyclist believed to have knocked a woman to the ground.

CCTV images of a cyclist accused of forcefully knocking a woman over in Bermondsey before speeding off have been released by police.

Thursday, April 23, 2015
Ambrose Ball has been missing since January 24

Police have recovered a body from the River Lea and believe it may be that of Ambrose Ball, who went missing in January after crashing his car.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Scotland Yard would like to speak to this man in connection with the attack [Photo by Metropolitan Police]

A 13-year-old girl was sexually attacked on a Bromley-bound bus, police have revealed.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
The man was attacked until he got off the train at King's Cross station (Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

A Victoria Line passenger was subjected to a vile racist tirade after asking a man not to spit on the Underground.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.