Kingston schools child abduction fears put parents and police on alert

12:35 26 May 2012

Police and the council have moved to reassure residents after three reported incidents at schools in Kingston-upon-Thames borough recently, including one believed to be an attempted abduction.

The Met says one report concerned an incident on May 17 in the grounds of Grand Avenue Primary School in Surbiton.

It was reported a man and woman walked up to a schoolgirl at a water fountain and attempted to engage her in conversation.

A police spokesman said: “The investigation into this allegation is continuing. No allegations which amount to criminal behaviour have been disclosed.”

Meanwhile, police want to hear from anyone who may have seen or comforted a child in distress at Knollmead Primary School on May 21 at about 9.10am.

Police say there have been extensive inquiries but no offences have come to light.

There were reports of a man in his 20s approaching a boy and grabbing hold of him, before the boy struggled free and ran away.

Finally, also on May 21, it was reported a man on a push bike was acting suspiciously in a car park close to Green Lane Primary School in Worcester Park.

The Met spokesman said: “We are now satisfied that no criminal offences were committed.”

Chief Superintendent Martin Greenslade, borough commander for Kingston, said: “I understand and share the community’s deep concern and would also like to use this as a further opportunity to reassure parents that we have treated the incidents extremely seriously and have investigated them robustly.

“A policing plan was put in place and we instigated extra patrols in the borough and maintained an increased visible presence outside local schools.

“I would like to report that the investigation has led to the conclusion that these incidents are not linked as previously thought.

“I would like to thank the community, especially parents and the schools who have fully supported our investigations and the increased police presence. I would also like to thank everyone who has provided information which has been appreciated and of assistance.”

Councillor Patricia Bamford said: “I am very pleased to learn that there is no evidence of any connection between these three incidents.

“I am grateful to Kingston police for their thorough and professional investigations into each of these reports.

“The police were quick to provide visible support and reassurance around our schools and have worked closely with schools, the local authority and the wider community to assess the evidence available.

“It is understandable that during the course of these investigations that level of concern and anxiety amongst parents and school communities has risen. I hope that this latest statement will allay those fears and that parents will understand the absolutely need for caution when investigating incidents involving children or other vulnerable groups.

“Whilst this has been a worrying time for parents it is also a timely reminder to us all against complacency when it comes to the safeguarding of children.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, April 27, 2015
Salah Mohammed was illegally touting for business near this carwash on Great Eastern Street when he picked up the victim [Image from Google StreetView]

A minicab driver has been jailed after picking up a woman in Shoreditch and taking to his friend’s house in Walthamstow, where she was raped.

Monday, April 27, 2015
Police want to know who these two men are [Photographs from Metropolitan Police]

Police are looking for two witnesses to a vicious assault that took place in Camden Lock and left the victim needing hospital treatment.

Monday, April 27, 2015

A 34-year-old has been charged with murder after a man was stabbed to death in Leyton over the weekend.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this woman about the incident

Police have released an image of a woman they want to speak to after a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf was racially abused on a Piccadilly line train.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Peter Mussett sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl on the DLR

A 32-year-old man carried out an ‘incredibly frightening’ sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl travelling alone on the DLR.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police have released a CCTV image of a cyclist believed to have knocked a woman to the ground.

CCTV images of a cyclist accused of forcefully knocking a woman over in Bermondsey before speeding off have been released by police.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Two phones. Same phone case. Genius.

To celebrate the launch of the first luxury dual phone case, PearPeel, we are giving away two of the black leather Rocha cases, perfect for holding two iPhone 6 handsets.

Read more
We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.