London 2012: Six arrested as protesters removed from Leyton Marshes

15:05 10 April 2012

Several protesters were arrested today following their eviction from the site where an Olympic basketball facility will be constructed.

Demonstrators had been camped out on Leyton Marshes to prevent construction of the temporary venue, but last week the High Court granted a possession order allowing their removal.

Bailiffs went onto the site this morning and evicted a number of people, and the Met Police was forced to arrest six people in connection with failing to comply with section 14 of the Public Order Act.

The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) said it regretted having to involve the courts and the police in the removal of the protesters.

The six people remain in custody.

A spokeswoman for the police said: “The police action was in connection with people lying in front of, climbing over and in front of a delivery lorry.

“When a number of people didn’t move after police asked them to, they were arrested.”

Leyton Marshes is used by hundreds of Hackney residents as a recreational facility.

An ODA spokesman said: “We regret that we have had to involve the courts and police to enable us to complete the building of a temporary training venue for which we have secured planning permission.

“Our concern has always been unlawful disruptive action preventing our contractors getting vehicles on to the site, and working, not peaceful and lawful opposition to our plans.

“These setbacks have incurred extra costs to the taxpayer. We are legally obliged to remove the venue shortly after the Paralympic Games this summer and return the ground to its previous state.

“We confirm that we will do this by October 15 2012.

“Local people will still be able to walk on the vast majority of the Leyton Marshes and the immediate Porter’s Field area throughout the summer, and, after the temporary structure is dismantled, they will benefit from £65,000 of improvements to the area and its wildlife habitats, funded by the ODA.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this woman about the incident

Police have released an image of a woman they want to speak to after a Muslim woman wearing a head scarf was racially abused on a Piccadilly line train.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Peter Mussett sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl on the DLR

A 32-year-old man carried out an ‘incredibly frightening’ sexual assault on a 12-year-old girl travelling alone on the DLR.

Friday, April 24, 2015
Police have released a CCTV image of a cyclist believed to have knocked a woman to the ground.

CCTV images of a cyclist accused of forcefully knocking a woman over in Bermondsey before speeding off have been released by police.

Thursday, April 23, 2015
Ambrose Ball has been missing since January 24

Police have recovered a body from the River Lea and believe it may be that of Ambrose Ball, who went missing in January after crashing his car.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Scotland Yard would like to speak to this man in connection with the attack [Photo by Metropolitan Police]

A 13-year-old girl was sexually attacked on a Bromley-bound bus, police have revealed.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015
The man was attacked until he got off the train at King's Cross station (Photo by Oli Scarff/Getty Images)

A Victoria Line passenger was subjected to a vile racist tirade after asking a man not to spit on the Underground.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

We have censored part of this image

Keith Fraser, the UKIP prospective parliamentary candidate for Hackney North and Stoke Newington has apologised after retweeting an Islamophobic cartoon which looks similar to Charlie Hebdo’s depictions of the Prophet yesterday morning.