London 2012: Six arrested as protesters removed from Leyton Marshes

15:05 10 April 2012

Several protesters were arrested today following their eviction from the site where an Olympic basketball facility will be constructed.

Demonstrators had been camped out on Leyton Marshes to prevent construction of the temporary venue, but last week the High Court granted a possession order allowing their removal.

Bailiffs went onto the site this morning and evicted a number of people, and the Met Police was forced to arrest six people in connection with failing to comply with section 14 of the Public Order Act.

The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) said it regretted having to involve the courts and the police in the removal of the protesters.

The six people remain in custody.

A spokeswoman for the police said: “The police action was in connection with people lying in front of, climbing over and in front of a delivery lorry.

“When a number of people didn’t move after police asked them to, they were arrested.”

Leyton Marshes is used by hundreds of Hackney residents as a recreational facility.

An ODA spokesman said: “We regret that we have had to involve the courts and police to enable us to complete the building of a temporary training venue for which we have secured planning permission.

“Our concern has always been unlawful disruptive action preventing our contractors getting vehicles on to the site, and working, not peaceful and lawful opposition to our plans.

“These setbacks have incurred extra costs to the taxpayer. We are legally obliged to remove the venue shortly after the Paralympic Games this summer and return the ground to its previous state.

“We confirm that we will do this by October 15 2012.

“Local people will still be able to walk on the vast majority of the Leyton Marshes and the immediate Porter’s Field area throughout the summer, and, after the temporary structure is dismantled, they will benefit from £65,000 of improvements to the area and its wildlife habitats, funded by the ODA.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
2 3 4 5 6

Latest Crime news

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Knife crime is on the rise in the capital (Picture: PA Images)

The 17-year-old boy murdered in a north London street last night is the fourteenth teenager to be stabbed to death in London in 2015, amid a ‘disturbing’ increase in knife crime in the capital.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Marta Ligman, 23, may have been alive when she was stuffed into the suitcase and thrown into the canal (Picture: Facebook)

A forklift truck driver has been found guilty of murdering his girlfriend, Marta Ligman, who may have been alive when she was stuffed into a suitcase and thrown into the Grand Union Canal.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
The boy was stabbed to death near Caledonian Road Tube station in Islington (Pic: Google Street View)

A teenage boy was stabbed to death in Yoke Close, off North Road, Holloway, last night.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Police want to talk to this man after female and male bus drivers were punched

A thug who punched a female and male bus driver because he lost his phone is wanted by police.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015
(Picture: London Fire Brigade)

An arsonist thought to have struck twice in Walthamstow yesterday morning is being hunted by police, who have issued a warning to the public to be extra vigilant for their own safety.

Monday, November 23, 2015
110kg of ivory - including raw elephant tusks - was seized by border police at Heathrow (Picture: Border Police)

In one of the largest ivory-smuggling busts ever, Border Force officers have seized over 100kg of the material which ‘represents dead elephants’ at Heathrow Airport, including whole raw tusks.

Breaking News

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A 16-year-old boy has been taken to an east London hospital after “suffering a stab wound” police have said.

Read more

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

Read more
You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Read more

Latest Tech News