Parents slam inquest into death of toddler crushed by falling lamp post

10:54 17 May 2012

Kate and Chris Hollis talk to the media outside the West London Coroners Court in Chelsea, following the inquest into death of their baby son Thomas, who was killed by a lamppost which fell on top of his pram. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday May 16, 2012. See PA story INQUEST Lamppost. Photo credit should read: John Stillwell/PA Wire

Kate and Chris Hollis talk to the media outside the West London Coroners Court in Chelsea, following the inquest into death of their baby son Thomas, who was killed by a lamppost which fell on top of his pram. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday May 16, 2012. See PA story INQUEST Lamppost. Photo credit should read: John Stillwell/PA Wire

The parents of tragic toddler Tommy Hollis have spoken of their pain at the death of their baby son and slammed the inquest into his death.

Eleven month-old Tommy, suffered a devastating head injury when a lamp post fell on his buggy in Chiswick, west London, west London, on February 23, 2010.

Workman Kelvin Elmore had cut a metal plate supporting the lamp post five days previously, not realising what it was, the inquest at West London Coroner’s Court heard.

Speaking outside West London Coroner’s Court yesterday, with her husband’s arm around her, Mrs Hollis said their sorrow was “compounded” by the way the inquest was conducted.

“We came here knowing it would be an extremely challenging time for us.

“However, we did not expect our upset and anguish to be compounded by what we feel was the coroner’s decision to exclude from consideration questions and evidence that might lead us to better understand how our son, Tommy, was killed in February 2010.

“We feel let down that crucial witnesses were not called or declined to answer questions.

“In particular, Kelvin Elmore, who cut the plate, chose not to give evidence and explain to the court, in person, why he did what he did.

“Despite what has been reported, Mr Elmore is not an engineer.

“Also, Hounslow Borough Council, under whose control these works were carried out, have been notably absent from these proceedings.

“We would also like know why there was no engineer on site at or around the time of the cut to the lamp post when it was apparent that the job was becoming more complicated and how no one realised that the plate was connected to the lamp post despite it being so close.”

A spokesman for Hounslow council said: “This was an awful tragedy and our sympathies remain with the Hollis family for the loss of their son Tommy.

“Safety is always the paramount concern. There was a suggestion during the inquest that undue pressure was placed on contractors by the council to hurry up the work. This was not supported by the whole of the evidence. We would never compromise safety by placing pressure on council officers or contractors to rush to complete work.

“It is important to finish works on time so that the public do not suffer unnecessary inconvenience, but this would never come before public safety.”

Latest Crime news

Friday, April 29, 2016
These deadly weapons have been seized in Brent over the last 24 hours (Pic: Twitter@MPSBrent)

It might look like a harmless torch but this is actually a disguised Taser which has been seized by Brent Police.

Friday, April 29, 2016
British Transport Police want to speak to this woman (Photo: BTP)

A woman has had her lip split open after she was attacked for veering in front of another woman on the station concourse At Manor House.

Friday, April 29, 2016
Abdi's police mugshot

A serial rapist who sexually assaulted five women as young as 19 and as old as 75 in a sick crime spree across east London has been locked up for life.

Friday, April 29, 2016
One of the crashed cars found near Ferry Lane, Rainham

People will be killed if street racers keep performing illegal late night stunts in front of hundreds of onlookers at an industrial estate, police have warned.

Thursday, April 28, 2016
Tsvetomir Georgiev exposed himself to women on many Tube trains (Picture: BTP)

A ‘persistent pervert’ travelled around the London Underground ‘targeting lone women’ - engaging the women in conversation before ‘touching himself inappropriately’ in front of them, inciting ‘considerable fear’.

Thursday, April 28, 2016
British Transport Police think this man could have vital information (Photo: BTP)

Police are hunting a pervert who stalked a woman even when she changed trains.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Kindle 7 inch tablet

Are you looking for a brand new gadget to help you stay connected on the go and make that long journey home a bit more entertaining? Look no further. MyOffers is giving you the chance to win 1 of 50 Kindle Fire 7” Display Tablets! That’s 50 times more chances to win, so hurry up and enter our competition today and you could be one of our lucky winners!

Read more
Yummy traditional afternoon teas for two

MyOffers is giving you the chance to win 1 of 50 Traditional Afternoon Teas for two at a location of your choice! That’s 50 times more chances to win, so hurry up and enter our competition today and you could be one of our lucky winners!

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport