London riots: Darrell Desuze named as killer of Richard Mannington Bowes in Ealing

14:07 13 March 2012

Darrell Desuze who killed pensioner Richard Mannington Bowes during the London riots

Darrell Desuze who killed pensioner Richard Mannington Bowes during the London riots

A teenager who killed pensioner Richard Mannington Bowes during the London riots can be named as Darrell Desuze today after an order banning his identification was lifted.

The 17-year-old had been protected because of his age but a judge removed the order at Inner London Crown Court a day after the teenager admitted manslaughter.

Desuze, of Bath Road, Hounslow, punched Mr Mannington Bowes to the ground on August 8 last year during rioting in Ealing, west London.

Mr Bowes, who had been trying to put out a fire in a dustbin near his home, suffered brain damage when his head hit the pavement.

He died three days later in hospital.

Desuze admitted manslaughter when he appeared in court yesterday.

He also pleaded guilty to violent disorder and had previously admitted burglary at William Hill, Tesco Express, Blockbusters and Fatboys Thai restaurant on August 8.

Mr Justice Saunders said in terms of consequences, it was the most serious crime committed during the riots and the public had a right to know what happened and who killed Mr Bowes, a retired accountant.

Desuze, who a year before the riots enjoyed a school trip to the Metropolitan Police’s riot training centre in Gravesend where he watched a simulated riot with officers pelted with bricks, still faces a charge of murder but the Crown will not pursue it and it is expected to lie on file.

Brian Altman QC, prosecuting, said on the evening of the killing Desuze, known as Smokey, set off for Harrow with friends.

But they headed to Ealing after getting a text from someone anticipating trouble there.

Desuze, wearing sunglasses and a distinctive top saying ‘Robbers and Villains’ was caught on camera kicking in the glass doors of a shopping centre before joining a mob that attacked heavily outnumbered police with missiles around Spring Bridge Road.

“But one thing distinguished him from the others,” said Mr Altman.

“He killed Richard Bowes, an entirely innocent local resident who had intervened to extinguish flames and prevent a fire in one of the bins.”

The barrister said left-handed Desuze threw his full weight behind a punch to Mr Bowes’s jaw, buckling his legs, knocking him unconscious and backwards where his head took the full force of impact on the road.

The police were “simply unable to reach Mr Bowes for some minutes because of the violence against them,” said Mr Altman.

After walking off, Desuze returned to the victim and moved him onto the pavement.

“If it was concern for what he had done, it was short lived,” said Mr Altman.

“Instead of calling an ambulance or summoning any of the policemen around he was in minutes rejoining the riot.”

Mr Bowes sustained “catastrophic brain injuries” and never regained consciousness.

Mr Altman said Desuze, who was just 16 at the time, left the scene and within 10 minutes of delivering the fatal blow was breaking into a William Hill, Tesco Express, Blockbusters and a Thai restaurant.

As officers and members of the public battled to save Mr Bowes, who was breathing but unresponsive and bleeding, thugs continued to shower them with debris, the court heard.

Mr Altman said the prosecution accepted Desuze’s guilty plea only on a “full facts” basis.

He would not accept it if Desuze continued with his “belatedly” offered explanation - he wanted to argue that he was provoked and was acting in self-defence.

Desuze’s mother Lavinia Desuze, 31, will stand trial on Monday accused of perverting the course of justice by destroying the clothes he wore on the night.

She appeared at court today and chose to stay in the dock with her killer son after her case was adjourned.

Desuze will be sentenced next month after pre-sentencing reports have been completed.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Mr Packman went missing from the Dennis Scott Unit of Edgware Community Hospital in 2012 [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield has absconded, and police have warned the public not to approach Joshua Packman if they see him.

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Mohammed Yasser Afzal

The man accused of murdering a minicab controller admitted in a typed letter found in his pocket that he killed him “because of his own crazy feelings”, a court heard today.

Thursday, March 26, 2015
Demetris Costa Hapeshi used the University's database to get a student's phone number  [Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images]

A lecturer who discussed sex toys with his students - and even kissed one of them - is fit to carry on working, a tribunal has ruled.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...