Man charged with murder of Highbury woman missing for 17 years

15:04 30 May 2012

Dillis Harrison (left) with daugher Jane

Dillis Harrison (left) with daugher Jane

Archant

A man has been charged with the murder of a single mother who disappeared 17 years go.

Kevin Doherty, 57, is accused of killing mum-of-two Jane Harrison, of Poet’s Road, Highbury, who went missing on June 15 in 1995.

The 32-year-old was last sighted at around 5pm in the Wood Green Shopping City precinct but she has never been seen since and her body was never found. A murder investigation was launched in August 2010.

Her heartbroken mum Dillis Harrison, from Petherton Road, Highbury, died two years ago still having no idea what happened to her daughter.

She had brought up Jane’s sons Ryan and Taylor. At the time of her death in November 2010, Jane’s younger sister Claire Harrison told the Gazette: “My mum’s life stopped the day Jane disappeared. She had already lost one child when my sister Shelly died in a car crash at the age of 17, but the not knowing what happened to Jane nearly killed her.

“She took on the two boys and did an absolutely fantastic job with them. She never asked for any help.

“But she told me that the first thing she thought about every morning was where Jane was and what happened to her.

“Mum knew that if she went down the whole family would fold like a pack of cards, but she dealt with it by blocking everything out. The waiting and wondering night after night was horrendous for her.”

Claire added: “We haven’t got a body so we have never been able to say goodbye properly.

“The day Jane went missing she had taken the meat out of the freezer at her home in Poet’s Road and was really excited because she was going on holiday to Florida.

“I always thought we wouldn’t find out what happened to Jane until after my mum died as it was God’s way of sparing her the details.”

Doherty, of Sherwood Avenue, South Woodford, was due to appear in custody at Redbridge Magistrates’ Court today.

Anyone with information about what happened to Jane asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3985.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police believe the attack took place behind the Surbiton KFC, on the Electric Parade (Pic: Google Maps)

Police are appealing for information after two men were seriously injured near a KFC in Surbiton.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man died in East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015

We previously ran an appeal asking the public to report any sightings of Joshua Packman, a young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield.

Friday, March 27, 2015
McDonagh has been jailed for four years [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

A conman has been jailed for locking a 90-year-old man in his basement in order to burgle his Fulham home.

Friday, March 27, 2015
Do you know this man? [Photograph from British Transport Police]

Police are hunting a thug who attacked a 17-year-old boy with half a brick on a train journey from Crystal Palace to East Dulwich - then snatched a man’s phone in West Norwood station.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...