Man denies planting fake gallery bomb

14:12 26 April 2012

Two Gravesend fraudsters avoid prison

Two Gravesend fraudsters avoid prison


A Tottenham man has denied planting a fake bomb in the National Gallery.

Joey Owen, 21, allegedly left the object at the art museum in Trafalgar Square, on October 12 last year.

Prosecutors claim the hoax bomb was made of a “battery with a circuit board and flashing LED light and wiring” and Owen, of Willoughby Lane, intended to “induce in another a belief that the said article was likely to explode or ignite and thereby cause personal injury or damage to property”.

Defence counsel Guy Ladenburg said Owen claimed the device recovered by gallery staff was a phone charger.

Owen, who denied one count of placing an article with intent, has been bailed ahead of his trial on September 17 at Southwark Crown Court.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
2 3 4 5 6

Latest Crime news

Tuesday, October 6, 2015
Police would like to speak to this man

Two women have been sexually assaulted in Maida Vale just two hours apart on a Sunday morning - and now police have released an image of a man they want to speak to about the sick attacks.

Sunday, October 4, 2015
A female cyclist was hit in the accident by Old Street roundabout (Picture: Monika Sobiecki)

A cyclist is fighting for her life in hospital after colliding with a lorry at Old Street on Sunday afternoon.

Sunday, October 4, 2015
A forensic officer at the scene of the stabbing (Pic credit: Santino Pani)

A man has been stabbed during a mass street fight in Harlesden this morning.

Friday, October 2, 2015
(Talfourd Place, Peckham)

A 16-year-old boy is the third person to be arrested in connection with the brutal attack on heavily pregnant Malorie Bantala, 21, after which she lost her baby.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015
If you recognise this man, please contact BTP on 0800 40 50 40, or text 61016, quoting reference ESUB/B4 of 30/09/2015.

Police want to speak to the man in these images after someone was spotted exposing themselves and committing a sex act on the 2.35pm service from Liverpool Street station to Shenfield on Tuesday September 8.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015
Naseem Galleze, 17, was travelling in his car when a lump of concrete was thrown at it, killing him, on the Turnham Estate in Brockley, south east London (Picture: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire)

A south-east London teenager died after a chunk of concrete was lobbed at the windscreen of his moving car in Brockley and today his family, who are ‘numb with pain’, are asking the public to help find his killers.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Line-Up Events


You could be splashing the cash at Topshop!

Just imagine what you could do with £1,000 to spend at Topshop.

Read more
You won't need to fork out for groceries for a while!

Asda, one of the country’s leading supermarkets, prides itself in being one of the cheapest places to shop, so you can be sure that your money will go a long way here!

Read more

Latest Tech News