Men jailed for attacking pensioner

17:34 14 September 2012

Mohammed Hassan (left) and Mustafa Hajinoor (right) have been jailed.

Mohammed Hassan (left) and Mustafa Hajinoor (right) have been jailed.

Archant

Two men have been jailed for robbing and attacking a 70-year-old man earlier this year.

Mustafa Hajinoor, of Wanstead Park Road, Ilford, was sentenced to four years and six months, and Mohammed Hassan, of Parsloes Avenue, Dagenham, was given five years and six months.

The victim was driving down Henley Road at 5.30am on March 8 when he pulled over to answer his phone.

Hajinoor, 22, and Hassan, 25, who was wearing a mask, approached the car to ask for a cigarette.

But the men then demanded money from the pensioner and Hassan threatened to stab the victim if he did not hand cash over.

The victim thought he saw a knife in Hassan’s waistband but did not give anything to the men.

Hajinoor and Hassan punched the victim several times and were taking his property when a resident came out to help.

But the do-gooder left after being threatened with being stabbed and Hajinoor and Hassan carried on punching the elderly man.

The attackers fled when police arrived at the scene but officers caught them after a chase on foot.

Hajinoor had the victim’s property, including a mobile phone, and the knife was recovered at the scene.

Det Con Chris Christoforou, of Ilford CID, said: “Hassan and Hajinoor are a pair of violent individuals who, armed with a knife and a mask to try and hide their identity, went out with the intention of robbing anyone they felt was easy prey.

“I would like to thank the victim and witness for their courage in coming forward and giving evidence.

“The prison sentences given reflect the seriousness of this offence, as the value of the mobile phone was only £100 if they had got away with it.”

Hajinoor, a labourer, and Hassan, who was unemployed, were sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on September 11.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Simpson-Kent was captured in Ghana after fleeing the UK following the death of his partner Sian Blake and their two children (Photo: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire)

Sian Blake’s partner has been charged with the murders of the ex-EastEnders actress and their two children, police have said.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Police are keen to identify this man (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

Police are asking south London women to be vigilant if travelling alone and on foot in the early hours, after three women were attacked within four miles of each other.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police are investigating attempted child abductions

A man has been charged after reports that a number of schoolchildren were approached by someone impersonating a police officer in Hornsey.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police would like to speak with this man (Picture: Metropolitan Police)

A 27-year-old man was punched in the face and pummelled as he lay on the ground in a sustained and unprovoked attack at a Bloomsbury bus stop.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
The two men police want to identify

A horrifying attack in Shoreditch has left a man with a fractured skull after he was beaten with wooden stakes.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport