Met Police anti-terror hotline ‘hoax’ calls: Teenager charged
15:40 14 April 2012
A teenager has been charged with two offences over alleged hoax calls to the Met Police’s counter-terror hotline.
The 17-year-old boy from Birmingham is accused of conspiring to cause a public nuisance and an offence under the Computer Misuse Act.
He was appearing in custody at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London.
The Met’s central e-crime unit has said it was aware hoaxers had made calls to the hotline and made recordings of their conversations with anti-terrorist hotline staff.
The force said yesterday that a 16-year-old boy who was also held on Thursday night had been bailed to return to a police station in the West Midlands pending further inquiries.
A statement added: “Public reporting is an important part of the fight against terrorism and any attempt to disrupt this service will be investigated thoroughly.”