Met Police detective jailed over attempted News of the World leak

11:26 01 February 2013

Chief Insp April Casburn, 53, was convicted last month: Sean Dempsey/PA Wire

Chief Insp April Casburn, 53, was convicted last month: Sean Dempsey/PA Wire

A senior counter-terrorism detective has been sentenced to 15 months in prison for offering to sell information to the News of the World.

Detective Chief Inspector April Casburn was sentenced at the Old Bailey today for misconduct in public office for offering to sell information to the News of the World.

Mr Justice Fulford told her it was “a corrupt attempt to make money out of sensitive and potentially very damaging information”.

Casburn, 53, is currently in the process of adopting a child, and the judge said had that not been the case he would have sentenced her to three years.

He said her offence could not be described as whistle-blowing, and went on: “If the News of the World had accepted her offer, it’s clear, in my view, that Ms Casburn would have taken the money and, as a result, she posed a significant threat to the integrity of this important police investigation.”

“Activity of this kind is deeply damaging to the administration of criminal justice in this country.

“It corrodes the public’s faith in the police force, it can lead to the acquittal or the failure by the authorities to prosecute individuals who have committed offences whether they are serious or otherwise.

“We are entitled to expect the very highest standards of probity from our police officers, particularly those at a senior level.

“It is, in my judgment, a very serious matter indeed when men or women who have all the benefits, privileges and responsibilities of public office use their position for corrupt purposes.”

He said he was particularly concerned about Casburn’s child, and admitted that her absence while she is in prison could be damaging.

“Troubling case of corruption”

Casburn, from Hatfield Peverel in Essex, called the NotW news desk on September 11 2010, and spoke to journalist Tim Wood about the fresh investigation into phone hacking.

She claimed she contacted the tabloid because she was concerned about counter-terror resources being wasted on the phone-hacking inquiry, which her colleagues saw as “a bit of a jolly”.

The detective denied asking for money, but Mr Wood had made a note that she “wanted to sell inside information”.

Today Mr Justice Fulford said: “It seems to me Mr Wood was a reliable, honest and disinterested witness.

“He took time and trouble during the defendant’s call to find out exactly what Miss Casburn was saying, questioning the defendant in detail on her account in order to make an accurate note for his superiors at the News of the World which he wrote up in detail immediately afterwards.

“He had absolutely no reason to lie and every cause to be cautious given the risk that the newspaper was to be the victim of a sting, as he suspected.”

During her trial at Southwark Crown Court last month, Casburn likened the male-dominated counter-terrorism unit to the TV series Life On Mars.

She was not given a desk for several months, despite more junior colleagues having them, jurors were told.

But the judge rejected this as an explanation for her behaviour.

He said: “It seems to me this is a straightforward but troubling case of corruption.

“I decline to accept that she had significant difficulties working with her male colleagues in the senior ranks of the counter-terrorism unit, which in part she said led her to act as she did.

“The most that could be said is that she was a relative newcomer to this area of police work. As a result she may have felt something of an outsider.”

But he said this “could not begin to explain the actions of a detective chief inspector who offers to the very newspaper which is the subject of a sensitive and confidential investigation by other officers to sell details of the progress of the inquiry and the strategy that officers were intending to follow”.

Related articles

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Thursday, July 2, 2015
Missing: Shaheed Forde-Bryan (Picture: Met Police)

Shaheed Forde-Bryan from Rainham, east London has not been home since Sunday June 14 and police are appealing for help to locate him.

Thursday, July 2, 2015
Forensic officers at the murder scene (Pic credit: Hannah McGrath)

A man has been shot dead near Wembley in the early hours of this morning.

Thursday, July 2, 2015
Cumberland Avenue. Picture: Google Maps

An east London man was stabbed in the chest when a weapon-wielding gang stormed his home and attacked him with a meat cleaver and an axe.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Archway Underground Station (Picture: Commons/Sunil Prasannan)

A 15-year-old who was stabbed in broad daylight outside Archway Underground Station this morning managed to travel to East Finchley before being taken to hospital, police said.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Snaresbrook Crown Court (Photo: John Stillwell/PA)

A Queen’s Park man who kidnapped a drug dealer and threatened to cut off his testicles in a ‘Scarface’ sting has been jailed for 14 years.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Police were called to reports of ahooting on Green Lane in Goodmayes (Photo: Google StreetView)

Police have been called to reports of a man shot in Goodmayes this morning.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Good times with Greenall's!

Good times with Greenall’s, a Great British gin sponsors Great British racing.

Read more
Escape to the picturesque sights of Cornwall

Summer is finally here, and what is the number one holiday location in the UK during the warmer months? Cornwall, of course!

Read more
Adrenalin junkies, this one's for you!

An icon of British engineering and a consistent favourite of James Bond, there are few names quite as legendary in motoring as Aston Martin.

Read more