Met Police to forge team of foreign officers

12:48 08 February 2013

File picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

File picture: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

The Metropolitan Police is to form a unit of foreign officers to tackle a growing threat from overseas criminals, it emerged today.

The service has asked for 2.2 million Euros (£1.9 million) of European Union funding to allow officers from other countries to be seconded to the force. Romania and Poland have agreed already to sign up.

The officers would share intelligence and join Met officers on operations, Scotland Yard said, but it is understood they would not have powers of arrest.

The top 10 countries of origin of those arrested are Romania, Nigeria, Somalia, Jamaica, Lithuania, Portugal, Poland, India, Pakistan and Ireland, with 40 per cent of all foreign national offenders from these countries, according to the Met.

Some 28 per cent of those arrested for a criminal offence in London are foreign nationals, recent Met intelligence showed.

The Met is reportedly in talks with police in Lithuania and Ireland to join the unit, but if successful it could be widened.

The unit is understood to form part of Operation Nexus, which combines police and immigration intelligence to tackle foreign criminals in London and has led to the removal of some of the capital’s highest-harm criminals.

More than 300 foreign criminals have been deported since the joint initiative launched by the UK Border Agency (UKBA) and the Metropolitan Police Service at the start of September.

Gill Barratt, vice-chairwoman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said: “We support the scheme on the basis that funding is provided from outside of the existing Metropolitan Police Service budget.

“The rules of engagement for the seconded officers would need to be carefully considered but such an initiative should bring cultural and operational benefits.”

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Monday, March 30, 2015
British Transport Police would like to speak to this woman pictured in the station on CCTV (Pic: British Transport Police)

Police are appealing for information after a deaf homeless woman was physically assaulted at Wanstead tube station over the weekend.

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police want to speak to this woman after an assault on the 118 bus to Brixton [Images from Metropolitan Police]

Police have issued CCTV images after a woman was beaten and kicked in a row aboard a night bus on New Year’s Day.

Monday, March 30, 2015
Police believe the attack took place behind the Surbiton KFC, on the Electric Parade (Pic: Google Maps)

Police are appealing for information after two men were seriously injured near a KFC in Surbiton.

Sunday, March 29, 2015
The incident took place on this street in Newham [Image from Google StreetView]

A man in his twenties has been charged with murder after a man died at a house at East Ham on Saturday night.

Friday, March 27, 2015
The news means at least nine girls travelled to, or wanted to travel to, Syria after attending the coeducational academy [Image from Google StreetView]

The High Court has banned five teenage girls from travelling abroad after they expressed an interest in going to Syria – just weeks after three of their schoolmates left to join the Islamic State.

Friday, March 27, 2015

We previously ran an appeal asking the public to report any sightings of Joshua Packman, a young man who was receiving treatment at a mental health unit in Enfield.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...