Naomi Oni acid attack trial: ‘It’s a conspiracy’, claims defendant Mary Konye

17:47 16 January 2014

Naomi Oni before the attack and after surgery following the incident

Naomi Oni before the attack and after surgery following the incident

Archant

Alleged acid attacker Mary Konye today told jurors she was the victim of a “conspiracy” and that evidence heard in court against her was “all lies”.

The 21-year-old student claimed her childhood friend Naomi Oni was “playing the victim” when she said she was scared to go back to the scene of the alleged attack.

Victoria’s Secret worker Ms Oni, also 21, was allegedly doused in sulphuric acid as she walked home from work along Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, in the early hours of December 30, 2012.

Under questioning at Snaresbrook Crown Court from prosecutor Gareth Patterson about her alleged involvement Konye replied: “I regret ever being a part of it.”

She repeatedly denied claims she had carried out the attack on her own to jurors at Snaresbrook Crown Court, instead insisting that together they had both planned it over three months and used the acid attack on disfigured model Katie Piper in 2008 as a “reference”.

She also denied ever threatening to throw acid over Ms Oni, as was alleged by multiple witnesses, after supposedly being called an “ugly monster” by her.

“I would never go out of my way to destroy someone’s image because of a word called ‘ugly’,” she said.

“I have known Naomi for so long and we have had several disagreements and not once have I raised a threat against her.

“I don’t know why people are conspiring against me and making up these lies. It’s a conspiracy.”

Konye, a former University of Hertfordshire business student, said the pair had agreed to carry out their plan three days beforehand.

She said Ms Oni had acknowledged her as she followed behind in a black Muslim veil on the night of the alleged attack, but claimed she was not carrying the acid that has left Ms Oni with life-changing facial injuries.

Instead she claimed the lingerie shop assistant had poured the corrosive liquid on herself after she had made her way home.

“I never attacked her. I never had acid. As soon as I got off the bus I tapped her and told her I was going on my way [home],” she said.

Mr Patterson said her defence was “silly” and “nonsense” to which Konye replied: “She [Ms Oni] fabricated the whole story.”

Hearing that Ms Oni had been scared to return to her family home near the scene of the alleged attack, Konye said: “That was all a part of playing the victim.

“She’s already planned ahead the things she was going to say to the police.”

Konye, of Throckmorton Road, Canning Town, denies the charge of applying corrosive fluid with intent to disfigure, maim or cause grievous bodily harm.

The trial continues.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Friday, May 29, 2015
Police say they urgently want to speak to this man [Images from British Transport Police]

A woman from Newham was beaten so badly aboard a busy train at Canning Town that her teeth were broken and her lip was cut.

Friday, May 29, 2015
The attack happened on Saturday on the canal towpath between Camden High Street and Kentish Town Road. Picture: GoogleStreetview

A homeless man has suffered a fractured skull and loss of hearing after being beaten by a man wielding a log in Camden.

Friday, May 29, 2015
Officers from Trident Gang Command are investigating

Police are hunting a gunman who shot a man near a children’s playground in Brent as part as part of a suspected gang attack on Wednesday.

Thursday, May 28, 2015
If you know this man, please contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40, or text 61016, quoting T/B6 of 27/05/2015

Police want to speak to a “man in orange trousers” after a Southall man was headbutted so viciously in a rush hour altercation at Ealing Broadway that he had to be taken to hospital.

Thursday, May 28, 2015
Friends paid tribute Joe Walker at the spot where he was killed

A teenage boy has been given a 12-month-detention order for his part in the death of Joe Walker, a 17-year-old from Stroud Green who was killed in a road crash last October.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Former MP for Falkirk Joyce has been in trouble with the law before [Photograph from Metropolitan Police]

Former MP Eric Joyce has avoided jail after attacking two teenagers in an ‘entirely unacceptable’ assault in a Chalk Farm shop.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Read more
You could take in stunning views of London over brunch at the Sky Garden

Celebrate lighter, brighter days with the chance of winning an indulgent brunch for two with a bottle of bubbles at Darwin, the cool and casual brasserie 36 floors up at Sky Garden.

Read more
Time to experience the dizzy heights of London's tallest attraction!

Morgan Pryce, commercial property experts based in London are offering one lucky reader the chance to win a pair of tickets to The Shard viewing platform in the city itself.

Read more