Rebekah Brooks charged in phone hacking scandal - slams “unjust” charges

11:41 15 May 2012

Rebekah Brooks leaving the High Court in London PIC: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire

Rebekah Brooks leaving the High Court in London PIC: Stefan Rousseau/PA Wire

Former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks is to be charged with perverting the course of justice during the phone-hacking scandal.

The Crown Prosecution Service alleges the former editor of the News of the World conceal seven boxes of documents of material, computers and gadgets, in order to mislead the police investigation.

Mrs Brooks and her racehorse trainer husband Charlie, also charged, labelled the charges ‘unjust.’

In the statement the pair said: ““We have this morning been informed by the Office of the Department of Public Prosecutions that we are to be charged with perverting the course of justice.

“We deplore this weak and unjust decision.

“After the further unprecedented posturing of the CPS we will respond later today after our return from the police station.”

Also charged were Mrs Brooks’s personal assistant Cheryl Carter and Mark Hanna, head of security at News International.

Mrs Brooks faces three conspiracy charges. The others all face one charge each.

Alison Levitt QC, principal legal advisor to the Director of Public Prosecutions, said: “All the evidence has now carefully been considered.

Mrs Brooks is expected to answer bail today.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Mark Edwards was jailed over lying about a drink drive collision.

A father and daughter have been sent to prison after they attempted to cover up what happened on the night of a drive drive collision.

Monday, April 20, 2015
Police would like to speak to this man [Images from Metropolitan Police]

Police are hunting a man who groped a woman on a bus bound for Heathrow Airport.

Monday, April 20, 2015
Muhammed Tahir is forbidden to use the tube [Photo: British Transport Police]

A middle-aged man from Hackney has been banned from using the London Underground after he was found guilty of sexually assaulting a female passenger.

Monday, April 20, 2015
The Cathay Airways pilot has been released on bail pending a further investigation (Photo by Christian Keenan/Getty Images)

A pilot has been arrested at London Heathrow airport after he allegedly tried to travel with a number of knives on a passenger flight to Hong Kong, police have said.

Monday, April 20, 2015
Asim Marku was skilled in Leyton on Thursday last week [Photo: Metropolitan Police]

The Metropolitan Police have arrested 43-year-old Hysni Aydyli in connection with the murder of a 34-year-old man in Leyton.

Sunday, April 19, 2015
Peter Fox was captured on CCTV in Euston Station [Photo: Metropolitan Police]

Police have released CCTV pictures of Peter Fox walking through Euston station and appealed for the 26-year-old to contact them after his mother and sister were found dead.

Breaking News

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A woman has died after she was hit by a Central Line traom at Liverpool Street station.

Read more

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...