Occupy London camp served court order by Tower Hamlets to shut down

19:02 08 May 2012

Occupy London camp at Mile End Park

Occupy London camp at Mile End Park

Carmen on shift

Court officers have served notices this-afternoon to get an Occupy London protest camp closed down that was set up in a public park.

It follows allegations that members of the camp which was set up five weeks ago at east London’s Mile End Park have damaged a nearby nature reserve to get firewood.

Complaints have been made to police by Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, who run London’s biggest urban nature reserve, that trees have been damaged.

Tower Hamlets council is now taking court action to have the campsite closed down.

It served papers on the camp protesters today after issuing a claim at Bow County Court on May 2.

The case is being heard in the morning (Weds), when the authority will ask for an order for the camp occupiers to give up possession of the parkland. The council promises, if successful, to move quickly to enforce the order to get the occupied parkland back.

But it has come in for criticism from Opposition leader Joshua Peck, who said: “The police and council should have acted much quicker. The camp has caused a lot of disturbance and damage—it’s outrageous that it’s been left so long.”

The camp protesters originally asked for firewood from the Friends organisation that looks after the nature reserve and were allowed to take only discarded timber that could not be recycled.

But cemetery managers soon discovered several sycamore trees had been damaged.

Ken Greenway, the nature reserve’s full-time officer, said: “Originally we agreed they could harvest some wood responsibly—but later found at least six sycamores damaged and have had to report it to police.”

He added: “These protesters against global capitalism are behaving like the banks they criticise—they want wood, so they just take it, whatever we say. It’s a shame.”

The damaged sycamores are “a value to invertebrates and birds” which the Cemetery Friends say help make up the woodland structure.

Sign up for our news alerts today!

Our editors' picks for the day's top news delivered to your inbox or phone.

Sign up for email alerts Sign up for mobile alerts
1
2 3 4 5 6
7

Latest Crime news

Sunday, February 14, 2016
Police are keen to identify this man (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

A reward of up to £10,000 is being offered to help catch a sickeningly violent thug who has carried out a series of shocking attacks on women in and around Peckham, south London.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Belsize Park Gardens

A terrified mother told how she was strangled until she lost consciousness and robbed in front of her two-year-old daughter.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Undated handout file photo issued by the Crown Prosecution Service of Tarik Hassane, one of the men accused of plotting to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London, who has dramatically changed his plea. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Friday February 12, 2016. The first defendant, Tarik Hassane, 22, admitted conspiracy to murder and preparation of terrorist acts as the defence was about to start in the Old Bailey trial. See PA story COURTS Terror. Photo credit should read: Crown Prosecution Service/PA Wire

NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

A 22-year-old accused of planning to use a moped in a series of Islamic State-inspired drive-by shootings in London has dramatically changed his plea at the Old Bailey today.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Simpson-Kent was captured in Ghana after fleeing the UK following the death of his partner Sian Blake and their two children (Photo: Metropolitan Police/PA Wire)

Sian Blake’s partner has been charged with the murders of the ex-EastEnders actress and their two children, police have said.

Friday, February 12, 2016
Police are keen to identify this man (Photo: Metropolitan Police)

Police are asking south London women to be vigilant if travelling alone and on foot in the early hours, after three women were attacked within four miles of each other.

Thursday, February 11, 2016
Police are investigating attempted child abductions

A man has been charged after reports that a number of schoolchildren were approached by someone impersonating a police officer in Hornsey.

What is this?

Near You Now

Don't Miss...

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Read more
Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Read more

Latest Tech News

Transport