Operation Elveden: Andy Coulson and Rebekah Brooks to be charged

11:01 20 November 2012

Former News of the World editor Andy Coulson and ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks will be charged as part of an invesigation into alleged corrupt payments to public officials.

The Crown Prosecution Service today said that five people are to be charged as part of the inquiry, called Operation Elveden.

In addition to Prime Minister David Cameron’s former spin doctor Coulson, those to be charged include former News of the World royal correspondent Clive Goodman.

Coulson and Goodman are charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office - one between August 31 2002 and January 31 2003, and the other between January 31 and June 3 2005, relating to the request and authorisation of alleged payments to public officials in exchange for information, including a royal phone directory known as the “Green Book”.

Brooks, who was editor of the Sun between January 14, 2003 and September 1, 2009, is also facing charges, along with former Sun chief reporter John Kay and Ministry of Defence employee Bettina Jordan Barber.

Barber, Kay and Brooks face one count of conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office between January 1 2004 and January 31 2012.

It relates to information allegedly provided by Barber to the Sun in return for payments of around £100,000.

So far, 52 people have been arrested as part of Operation Elveden, two of whom - a retired police officer and a former journalist - have been told they will face no further action.

A counter-terrorism detective had already been charged and is due to face trial in January.

Detective Chief Inspector April Casburn is accused of leaking information to the now-defunct News of the World about the police inquiry into whether to reopen the investigation into phone hacking.

Alison Levitt QC, principal legal adviser to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), said: “All of these matters were considered carefully in accordance with the DPP’s guidelines on the public interest in cases affecting the media. This guidance asks prosecutors to consider whether the public interest served by the conduct in question outweighs the overall criminality before bringing criminal proceedings.”

The five will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on a date to be fixed.

Operation Elveden is being run alongside two others: Operation Weeting, which is looking at allegations of phone hacking, and Operation Tuleta, an inquiry into accusations of computer hacking and other privacy breaches.

Eight people including Coulson and Brooks face charges linked to an alleged conspiracy to hack phones.

The others are private investigator Glenn Mulcaire and five former News of the World journalists - ex-managing editor Stuart Kuttner, former news editor Greg Miskiw, former head of news Ian Edmondson, ex-chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck and former reporter James Weatherup.

They are all due to face trial in September next year.

So far 18 people have been arrested as part of Operation Tuleta, but no-one has yet been charged.

Latest Stories from SNAP.PA

A knot of very hardy Liverpool supporters will be travelling to Bulgaria this week to watch their team play Ludogorets. Welcome to Razgrad!

Read more

ScarJo (don’t tell her we called her that) turns 30 today. We wonder if she’ll be taking another trip to Disneyland?

Read more

How can football clubs be expected to act morally when the game is not being protected by the people at the top?

Read more

Promotions

Gamucci is a global leader and premier brand of electronic cigarettes

Gamucci has an electronic cigarette tailored for every need! We have a range of both disposable and rechargeable electronic cigarettes suitable for all adult smokers. And for a limited time we’re offering up to 40% off.

Money saving Christmas gifts to add to your shopping list!

It’s nearly time to go on the hunt for Christmas presents, stuck on what to get for your nearest and dearest? We’ve picked out a selection of great deals to get you started and to help you save some pennies!

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

At 100 years old, this was Ruby Holt’s first visit to the beach – and the first time she saw the ocean.

Quirky London